Part 22

We all get ready for Steven's graduation ceremony.

I help Belly choose a dress while I choose my own.

"We should be in the car already!" Laurel shouts and Belly runs straight downstairs.

I quickly brush my hair before running after her.

The doorbell rings and I quickly go and get it.

"Shoot I forgot to make the lunch reservation." My mum says, clearly stressed.

"Yeah I figured so I did." I tell as I swing the door open.

I bring in a basket filled with huge, expensive gifts.

"Who sent this?" Steven sits down and starts rummaging through it.

"Oh my god." I read the card and Belly snatches it from me, tearing it in half. "Belly!"

"Who's it from?" Steven asks.

"Susannah."

"Must've pre-planned it, classic Beck."

"Wish she coulda been here, Conrad and Jere too." Steven looks up at me.

"They were busy." Laurel reassures him.

"Sure." He says, obviously not believing it.

We sit in silence for a moment.

"Tickets!" I grab them from a chair and hand them to my mother.

"Okay, yep, lets go."

We all start walking out to the car, Steven and I in the front, Belly and Laurel in the back.

I look at myself in the mirror.

"You look a bit pale Y/N, are you feeling okay?" My mum asks.

"Wow thanks for the compliment." I laugh sarcastically. "I'm fine."

Truth is I've looked 'sick' for months, Laurel's just been too busy too notice.

~~

Conrad and I sit on the beach, facing each other with our legs crossed.

"I feel bad." I tell him. "He was so angry at us and he has a right to be honestly."

Conrad cups my cheek and I stare into his eyes.

"Its gonna be okay, Eminem, I promise."

"How do you know?"

Wind is the only sound filling the air.

"I think we should hit pause."

"Hit pause? We only just started."

"I don't wanna make things harder than they already are."

"Y/N I love you, you could only make things easier."

"Con, I love you, but the most important thing right now is that you and Jeremiah are there for each other, and there for Susannah and I think that me being in the middle of it would just make it so much harder than it already will be."

"I really hate this."

"Yeah, me too."

"This has always been yours." He hands me the infinity necklace. "No matter what happens, we'll always be infinite."

"Oh I know Conrad, I don't think I could ever get over you anyway."

"Ha, me neither."

I place a small peck on his lips and he reaches over behind me, clipping the necklace on.

"I love you."

"You said." I chuckle.

"Doesn't hurt to say it again."

"I love you too."

~~

We sit and watch Steven's graduation speech.

I honestly thought it'd be about something dumb, but it's actually quite sweet.

As he speaks, I look over at my right, to where Conrad and Jere's reserved seats are.

'It's all my fault'

I ignore my currently intruding thoughts and focus on Stevens speech.

"The unthinkable then happens, and you have to get on with life."

My thoughts envelope me and my mind fades into a memory.

~~

"Y/N." I hear Susannah call, from the other room.

I walk in and sit by her.

"I love that necklace on you." She tells me as I play with the infinity symbol. "Connie told me everything that happened."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry."

"It's not how i wanted the summer to end. Especially not..." I say, referring to Suz. "2I just feel like I'm losing everyone."

"You're not, it takes time, you'll find your way back to each other eventually." She pauses. "And this place is always here for you."

"But you've made every summer here so magical Suz, I mean, what happens, what happens when."

"Y/N." She stops me. "You love this place the same way I do, if anyone can keep the magic going, it's you. You're my special girl."

We both tear up.

"I need to call the cleaners."

She gets up but before she can leave I throw my arms around her waist, and hold her tight.

"Promise you'll never leave me, no matter what."

"Never." She giggles.

~~

I sit and listen to Steven's speech, which is growing in tension and emotion.

"There are times, when it feels like the world is happening to you, but remember, you are happening to the world. So don't wait, make what you want happen because tomorrow isn't promised so you better make fucking sure, you are living today."

A smile grows on my face as we all clap and cheer.

Steven holds up a small heart with his hands.

A few minutes later, we all flood outside and Belly, Taylor and I all chat.

"He's so extra." Belly tells us.

"Although, he did earn it with that speech."

"His speech kinda pierced my soul." I cringe at myself and the others snicker.

"Don't laugh." I slightly chuckle. "I don't know I feel like i've been in this nightmare ever since Susannah died and you know, maybe it's time to wake up."

The others smile.

Taylor receives a text and starts talking about her boyfriend.

"Can you come and help with my outfit?" Belly asks her.

"No fucking way you guys are coming?"

I nod.

Tay leaves and we start walking away with Steven, to go to a restaurant.

'I know, when it's time to go.'