Part 33

"Egg?"

I turn around to him.

"You haven't called me that in a while."

"You're choosing the first game." He reminds me.

"Oh yeah, forgot about that." I chuckle and talk to my team about what we're going to choose.

I've felt kind of out of it since we've arrived here, being back in Cousins makes Susannah being gone feel all too real.

No one's seemed to notice though

"We choose." I pause for suspense. "Laser tag!"

Everyone makes their way to the laser tag section and we all start getting our gear on.

We all scream at each other,

"Fuck you!" Conrad shoves two middle fingers at my face.

"Fuck you!" I yell back.

After screaming back forth at each other, I explain the game.

"Okay everyone, the games are best of 5, first and last round everyone plays, middle is one on one so choose your best fighter!"

The scoreboard shows our two teams,
'Team Conrad' and 'Team Y/N'.

I sneak around the maze, looking for anyone on the other team. I see Skye get shot by Conrad, so I peek through a gap and get him.

After Steven gets Taylor and Con gets Belly, I catch Jere.

The second round is Steven and Taylor, She gets him.

Then, Jere, Skye and Belly go in a three, Jere somehow manages to get them both.

The fourth is Con and me, I get Conrad,

After going through the last round, it's just him and me again, I tip toe around, and when I see him I make a run for it, but Jeremiah grabs me by the waist and holds me out for Conrad to shoot.

They win the game fair and square.

"Don't worry, we'll get them next time." I tell my team.

"Get us next time?" Conrad cackles, "We're playing capture the flag next."

Everyone takes a little break, Taylor off to the bathroom, Belly and Steven walk around, Skye, Jere and Conrad wait by the climbing wall and I just go on my phone for a minute.

The memory of the voicemails pops back into my head, so I check them and look through once more.

Every time his name shows up, it's like another arrow.
I shrug it off, switch my phone off, and head over to where the others are.

Steven starts to climb up the wall straight away, until a worker comes over and stops him.

"Cam?" Belly asks, happily.

"Are we in trouble?" Jere asks.

"I mean, officially, there's no horseplay, but unofficially it's the most exciting thing that's happened all day." He smiles.

"Nicole told me you were doing an internship on a whale boat though." I say.

"That fell through."

"Sorry to hear that." Belly speaks.

She then introduces Skye and Cam Cameron, before Steven and Taylor harness up and get ready to climb.

Unfortunately, Steven wins and they return to the ground.

"Where to next?" Cam asks.

"It's their choice." I tell him.

"Well, I don't know about you, y/n, but I think it may be time, to shoot your shot." Conrad grins.

"You're on."

~~

We reach the basketball hoops and Con and I get ready.

"Too bad for you, Eminem, basketball is all about angles."

"Too bad for you, I had such a great trig tutor in my senior year."

"Thank you." He exaggerates.

"Okay, five balls each. Most baskets win." Cam shouts. "On your marks, get set, GO!"

Con shoots and gets it in.

"In your face." He yells.

"I let you have that one so you don't cry when you lose."

"Sure you did."

I take a shot and get it perfectly in the hoop.

We go back and forth, both getting it in each time, until Connie misses his last shot, and it's all up to me.

I get the ball in a scream with joy, before turning around and hugging Taylor.

"Y/N Conklin, is the winner!" Cam cheers.

After everyone finishes trash talking, Con walks over,

"As much as it pains me to say it, it was an alright win."

"Told you I'd win."

"I think you get to pick a prize."

I look up at the stuffed bears and my mind fades to an old memory.

~~

One of the first times I had my heart broken was on this board walk, I was 14.

Just Conrad and me go, just us.

"It's kinda crowded, wanna just go sit on the pier and get ice cream?"

"Or we could play ring toss." He recommends.

I look over to the game and see a short red-head, with little yellow shorts and a white top, a girl who looks much prettier than me.

I'm wearing a thin, summery, black skirt down to my knees and a Taylor Swift t-shirt.

I thought he asked me to the boardwalk because he wanted to hangout with me.

"Sure, we can play ring toss."

We head over to the game and I make sure to compliment her shorts.

"I like your shorts too." Conrad tells her.

"I thought you said they were too short when I wore the same ones yesterday."

"You think they're too short?" She asks.

"Okay Connie, I'm gonna get some ice cream, win me a prize." I say just before I walk off.

A little while later he meets me at the stand.

"How came you never came back?"

"The line was long."

"They said that this was the best prize they had." He hands me a little white polar bear.

"Thank you."

~~

"Oh wow, they haven't updated these prizes in years." He looks up at the selection. "You could get junior mint a friend."

"Yeah." I smile. "I'll take one of the polar bears, please."

The lady working the game hands me on and Connie smiles.

"So, we finally get to pick," I announce. "And I choose...dancing!"

We all agree and make our way to the dancing game.

Con looks over at me and smiles at me.

I return it.

'Industry disruptors and soul deconstructors and smooth-talking hucksters, out glad-handing each other, and the voices that implore, "You should be doing more", To you I can admit, that I'm just too soft for all of it.'