Part 4

"Okay officers, have a good night." My mum says in a sweet voice.

She closes the front door and her smiley facade fades.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?" She asks in annoyance.

"Mum, it wasn't a big deal. All right. Seriously, the cops were just looking to break up the bonfire." Steven steps forward.

"Not a big deal?"

"Yes."

"I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Steven."

Steven sniffs and then lets out a small frustrated laugh.

"Were, were you guys, you guys smoking tonight."

"What?" She looks at all of us. "Keep your voice down, Susannah's asleep on the couch."

"I wasn't yelling! You were."

"Steven." I shake my head.

"Just so you know, Laurel, I didn't drink tonight I was the DD, I swear." Jeremiah interrupts in a charming tone.

"You're the oldest of the boys." She dodges Jere's comment and turns to Conrad. "What the hell's gotten into you?"
"And when did you leave the house without telling anybody?" She directs at Belly.

"I had that same question." I point out.

"Don't let me even start with you Y/N." My mum points her finger at me.

"The hell did I do?!" I defend myself.

"Have you not looked in the mirror? You've got a bruised eye, bloody forehead, I mean Jesus. What's up with you two?" She questions Conrad and I.

"Stop treating us like kids!" Belly yells.

"If you want to be treated like adults, act like them."

"Maybe you guys should too," Conrad speaks, from the chair.

"What does that mean?"

Conrad shrugs.

"I hope you realise this night could've ended a lot differently, if your family wasn't, your family."

"Bullshit," I mutter.

"Excuse me?"

"It's bullshit! Sometimes I swear to god you don't even see me as your daughter."
I scoff obnoxiously.

"That's not true." Laurel's voice breaks slightly.

"Yes, it is!"

"No."

"It is! I do one thing, once! But Steven and Belly do shit all the time, and you don't even care!"

Silence hangs.

"Go to bed guys."

We all sigh and start walking up to our rooms.

I leave but wait for Conrad, and overhear my mum ask what's going on with him.

"Nothing. It's nothing."

After hearing the dullness in his voice, I decided to go ahead.

I run up the stairs and jump onto my bed, getting into my pyjamas.

Well,

Conrad's T-shirt and some shorts.

As soon as I hear him in his bedroom.

I knock on the wall twice.

Silence.

Two knocks back.