Part 21

I wake up from a dream about being in the summer house when a book gets slammed onto the floor.

'I'm not in cousins, Conrad and I aren't together, and Susannah is dead'

"Wake up Y/N!"

"Sorry." 

"You're meant to be picking Belly and Taylor up in 10 minutes." Laurel reminds me.

"Shit yeah, I'll leave in a sec."

I put my head in my hands and think back to the day on the beach.

~~

Conrad and I begin walking back to the house, our hands intertwined.

I giggle.

"This almost doesn't feel real."

"How bout' now?" He pulls me in and we kiss quickly.

"I can't stop smiling." I admit.

"You know, you've got the prettiest smile I've ever seen. You're whole face just lights up." He breathes in. "I've been wanting to say that all summer."

"Uh, there's something I have to tell you. i don't even know how to."

"Okay." He smiles.

"A few days ago, Jeremiah told me he had feelings for me."

"Okay, and what did you do?"

"We kissed, a couple times."

"So um, when we left the party to pick up Belly and Taylor were you and Jere already?..."

"Yeah." I pause. "But there were moments this summer when I thought maybe there could be something between you and me but then we both kinda, shut down."

"I know, I know, I'm sorry."

"No I get it. I did too."

We keep on walking, very slowly.

"Do you wanna be with him?"

"Being with you is all I've ever wanted." I grin.

"Okay, that's great, be with me then." He grabs my hand with a little smirk.

"What?!" I burst out into squealing laughter.

"Is that funny?"

"No, it's just, everyone's known that i've had a crush on you ever since I like." I get interrupted.

"Wait you have a crush on me?" He laughs.

"Shut up." I punch him in the arm.

"you're it for me, Y/N." He turns serious and we look ag each other, stopping.

"I would never be able to get over you."

"You won't have to."

"I don't wanna hurt Jere." I add on.

"Me neither, look I'll talk to him and he probably won't be that upset I mean you know Jere. Plus, he's got Belly who he has been obsessing over too. He never takes stuff that seriously anyway, it's not...it's not like how it is with us."

"I'll talk to him first. I owe him that."

"Okay." He takes my hand and we carry on walking all the way to the house in comfortable silence.

We creep into the kitchen before stopping in our tracks when we see Suz sat on the couch with a cup of coffee.

"I knew it." She sets it down. 

"I'm gonna go uh. You know." I tell Connie.

"Okay seeya." He lets go of my hand and I go to find Jere.

~~

The school bell rings and I step out of my car, finding the girls.

"Hey guys!" I greet them with a hug.

"Hi babe." Taylor smiles.

"Hi." Belly mutters.

"Nice ride." Taylor tells me, as we walk over to my new car. "Can we have the roof down?"

"Sure."

"You know it looks kinda familiar." Tay teases. "Oh yeah it's basically the exact same as Conrad's car."

"Oh shut up I just like it."

"Sure, sure."

The girls hop into the back and I turn the music up to full.

As the roof rolls down, I can't help but to remember that day.

~~

I walk into Jeremiah's room and sit on the other end of the bed.

"Good morning Y/N."

"Hey."

"I did research all night on that trial my mum agreed to and Y/N, I think there's a chance."

"That's great Jeremiah."

"To be honest I'm still kinda pissed at Conrad for not telling me."

"You're not pissed at me though?"

"How can I be angry at you." He places a hand on my knee. "That's kind of why I think we should tell Conrad about us, I don't want anymore secrets."

"The thing is um, last night I couldn't sleep and I went to the beach and uh, Conrad was there and we started talking and then we." I pause. "We kissed."

He pulls his hand away.

"You kissed my brother?"

"I know, It's awful, but we wanted to tell you right away."

"You're already a 'we'?"

I stand up and clear my throat as I nod.

"Glad it finally happened for you Y/N." He claps, standing up. "Not like my mum has cancer or anything."

I nod.

"Look I know you're upset, but what about you and Belly?"

"She said we shouldn't be dating right now."

"So you're mad at me even though I was the backup plan all along?"

"Y/N I like you."

"I don't care, I've been second to everyone and Belly my whole life, even if I'm not with Conrad I refuse to be the person you settle for just because you can't have her." I tell him. (PLEASE understand this reference)

I walk away, shaking my head.

"Just so you know." He stops me. "He's gonna break your heart."

This is the exact reason why Conrad is the right choice, he reacted well, Jere has not.

'In a world of boys, he's a gentleman'

A/N:

I'm going to be including cheeky little song quotes at the end of every chapter now. Enjoy them xx