Part 30

We all sit down in the living room together and put on 'It Happened One Night'.

Steven, Jere, Taylor, and Bells all sit on the main couch together, so Conrad and I sit on the smaller one.

"Is Jeremiah okay?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I told him that we aren't gonna give up."

"Good, 'cause there is no fucking way that we are."

He smiles.

"Thank you, y/n."

"For what?"

"Being here, I'm, I'm really happy you're here."

"I am too." I nod before turning to face the TV.

A little while later, Conrad suddenly stands up and leaves in a hurry.

I look at him, then to Steven, who has also noticed. Steven gives a nod saying, 'I've got it', and follows after Con.

I tap my foot impatiently, waiting for them to come back, but they don't.

Taylor sits next to me, obviously realizing my worried state.

"You okay y/n?"

"Of course," I reply, unconvincingly.

"You're seriously worrying about Conrad right now?"

I shrug.

"Steven is with him, he's fine, don't stress about it, okay babe?"

"Yeah, I won't." I smile. "I think I'm gonna just, head upstairs."

"Okay, see you later."

"Yeah, of course."

I head up to my room and sit on the bed, nervously picking at the skin on my thumbs.

I don't know why I feel so anxious about this, but I think I know what might make it better.

While I rummage through my drawers for an old bikini, I hear heavy footsteps making their way towards my room.

"Hey." He says, lowly.

"Hi," I reply, not turning around until I find my swimming stuff.

"Going to the pool?"

"Beach."

"It's dark out."

I shrug, before taking a moment to study him. He seems in an alright mood.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Never mind." I sigh. "You alright?"

"Yeah."

"Good, I've been worrying about you all day."

He nods and I walk past him and start walking to the beach.

~~

I sit on the shore with my knees pressed up to my chest, letting the sea run over my feet.

I grab my phone when I hear a small ping.

When I see the name, I practically fall backwards and it takes me a minute to open the text, but I do.

ALLY DAWES:

Hey y/n, I know we haven't talked in a while, but I wanted to ask how you're doing, I heard about Susannah.

I take a couple of deep breaths in before writing an answer.

At first, it is polite, but then I can feel the rage building up and I start sweating, needing to release everything I have to say.

How dare you reach out to me.

She quickly replies.

I know I am sorry, but I couldn't rest with not checking in.

Ally, you are the one making this ten times more difficult. You are the reason we aren't friends.

I don't believe that it's my fault.

It is your fault though, you decided to believe the rumours, you argued with me, and then you left me and started rumours yourself. How is that not your fault?

Well, how was I meant to know if the rumours were true or not?

Because I was your best friend and you should've trusted me.

Well maybe if you weren't so unhinged I would've known if you were being like, crazy and they were true or like you weren't

Where do you even get the nerve to say this?

I'm sorry, I'm just annoyed, do you hate me?

I should.

Read...

I turn off my phone and throw it behind me.

I haven't yet changed into my bikini, but I don't care, I carry on walking into the sea in my shorts and hoodie.

Once I am at waist height, I float on my back and listen to the crash of the waves.

I stay there for a good ten minutes until I hear a yell and stand up.

"Y/N."

I try and make out the figure in the dark but give up when I can't.

I carry on swimming around when they walk into the water, towards me.

"Y/N, are you okay?"

I laugh.

"What's funny?"

"How can you even ask me that, Taylor?"

"N/N," She grabs my wrist and stands me up so that I am facing her. "I know that you are struggling right now, so I need you to know that you can talk to me, about anything."

I nod, quickly pulling myself together.

"Let's go." She grabs my hand and takes me to the sand, where we stand next to each other.

"So, we don't have to talk about anything right now, but for tonight are you gonna be alright?"

"Yeah, I will be."

"Okay." She smiles. "I don't know what you're going through, but I want to help you y/n."

"I know, thanks." I nod. "Can we go inside? I'm so cold."

"Yes, no offense but this is really killing the optimism for saving the house." She chuckles and we walk back to the house together.

We walk back in silence and I think back to Ally's texts.

'I should hate you, I feel stupid.'

'Like I almost crashed my car.'

'Driving home to talk about you at my table in the dark.'