Shock

The night before her college graduation, Rory found herself at a party that her grandparents were having for her. She was trying to focus on what her grandmother's DAR friends were saying to her, but she was too distracted.

Just a few hours earlier she'd gotten shocking and life altering news. She didn't know what to do, but she hadn't had a chance to talk to anyone about it before the party. Not Logan. Not Lorelai. Not anyone.

She was so distracted that she didn't even realize that the conversation had ended and she was standing by herself in the middle of the room until Logan walked over to her. "Ace, you ok?"

"What? Yeah" Rory said

"Are you sure?" Logan asked. He could tell that something was bothering her.

"Yeah, just uh...nervous about tomorrow"

"Don't be" Logan said as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close and kissed the top of her head.

An hour later, after her grandparents sang her a song, she was standing in front of Logan who had just asked her to marry him. Her heart was beating so fast, she thought she was gonna pass out. She wanted to marry him. She did. But she couldn't say yes without talking to him about the news she'd gotten.

"Um...can you come talk to me outside?" Rory asked. "Please?"

"Yeah" Logan said and put the blue velvet ring box back in his pocket as he followed Rory outside. He was nervous. He thought that going outside meant that she was turning him down and didn't want to do it in front of everyone.

"Sorry, I just didn't wanna talk in front of everyone"

"Look, I know it seems sudden and maybe a little unexpected, but Rory I love you, more than anything in this world, I love you. And I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you" Logan said.

"Logan..."

"I got the job" he told her. "In California. They want to make me a full partner. I think I'm gonna take it, but I don't wanna go without you. I looked at houses there and I saw a couple that I think you'll really like. One is in Palo Alto and it has this great yard with an avocado tree out front, and the other is this great place in San Francisco it's less than half an hour from where I'd be working, and it's close to the chronicle if you wanna work there. Or we could look at other places if you want, the only thing that matters to me is that we do it together"

Rory was fighting the urge to cry. She wanted everything that Logan just described. She wanted that life with him in California, but she was pretty sure that it would all go away the second she told him her news. "Logan, I need to tell you something"

"What is it?" Logan asked. He could tell that it was serious.

"I got some news today, and I don't know how you're gonna react, but you have to know, so I have to tell you"

"Ace, you're making me nervous"

"I'm..." Rory glanced around to make sure nobody was around. "I'm pregnant"

Logan was fighting every instinct he had, telling him to run. "Wha- are you sure?"

Rory nodded.

"How? I mean... I know how, but we're careful"

"I don't know" Rory said. "I just...i don't- I don't know. I don't know how this happened. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I don't know anything"

Logan could tell that Rory was on the verge of a major freak out and her grandparents party was not the time or place. "Ok, well, um...I don't think this is the right place for us to talk about this. Do you wanna go home? Do you wanna go back inside and talk about this later? What do you wanna do?"

"I don't know" Rory said and started crying.

"Come here" Logan wrapped his arms around her and just her her cry into his chest. "I'm here for you" he said softly. "You know that, right? Whatever happens. Whatever you decide. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere"

Rory took a few moments to collect herself before deciding that she couldn't stay at that party. She couldn't spend the next hour trying to explain why she didn't say yes, or answering the million other questions that people were gonna have.

Logan waited outside while Rory went inside to find Emily.

"Rory, is everything alright?" Emily asked

"Yes. Everything's fine. I'm actually really sorry, but I think Logan and are gonna head out. We have a lot we need to talk about"

"I understand" Emily said. "Have a good night"

"Thank you"

The ride home was dead silent. Neither Rory or Logan said a single word. The silence continued when they got home. Rory went to change and while she was changing, Logan made them some tea. Luckily Paris and Doyle weren't home so they could talk without being overheard.

Once they were sitting across from each other at the table, Logan spoke. He didn't need to ask if it was his, he knew it was, and the same went for if she was keeping it. "Now what?"

"Now we piss off a lot of people" Rory said. She wasn't so worried about telling her parents, considering their history. At worst they'd be a little disappointed. Richard and Emily were gonna freak out, and she didn't even want to think about Mitchum and Shira.

"That's not what I meant" Logan said. He knew people were gonna be pissed, but at the time he didn't care. He would worry about that later. "What do we do now?"

"I made a doctor's appointment. It's next week" Rory told him.

"And us?" Logan asked. He wanted to marry her, her being pregnant didn't change that.

"What do you mean?"

"Marry me"

"Logan, I don't want to get married just because I'm pregnant"

"2 hours ago when I asked you to marry me, I had no idea that you're pregnant. I asked because I love you. I want a life with you, and I want a family with you. And yeah, I kind of thought the family thing would come later, but that doesn't change the fact that I want this. I want you"

Rory was conflicted. She really wanted to say yes, but she couldn't tell if it was because of the baby or because she actually wanted to.

"Forget about the baby for a second" Logan said. "If you weren't pregnant would you have said yes when I proposed to you tonight?"

"I think so"

"So?"

"Ask me again" Rory said

Logan smiled widely. "Ace, will you marry me?"

"Yeah, I'll marry you" Rory smiled. Logan got up to hug her tightly. "But I wanna wait a while, ok? I don't wanna rush to get married just because I'm pregnant"

"Kiss me"

"That's kinda how we got into this mess in the first place"

"Kiss me" Logan repeated and kissed Rory deeply

With both of them feeling a lot better than they were just half an hour before, they called it a night and went to bed. They could talk more in the morning.

"How do you feel?" Logan asked as he and Rory got ready for her graduation the next morning.

"Like I'm gonna puke" Rory said

"It'll be fine" Logan said and rubbed her shoulders.

"I really hope so"