Adjustment

Having a newborn definitely took Rory and Logan some getting used to. For the first week that they were home from the hospital, Lorelai came over every day to help out. 

When Delilah was 11 days old Mitchum and Shira came to visit. They met her in the hospital but after that they wanted to give Rory her space to recover, and waited to visit until they were invited. 

Rory was sitting in the kitchen, drinking coffee with Shira while Logan and Mitchum were in the living room with the baby.

"How are you feeling?" Shira asked

"Physically, a lot better" Rory said. "Emotionally, all over the place"

"That's to be expected" Shira said. "It gets better after a few weeks. Are you getting sleep?"

"Surprisingly yes" Rory said. "We realized that she sleeps a lot better if we turn the heat on in our bedroom. Although we don't really know why because it was pretty warm in there before we started doing that"

"It's the sound" Shira said. "When Logan was a baby we always turned a fan on while he slept. Babies like white noise"

"Huh"

"Static on the television works too"

Just then Logan came over with Delilah.

"Hi noodle!" Rory said and took the baby from Logan. When they were in the hospital Logan made a comment about how Delilah was 'floppy like a wet noodle' and it somehow became her nickname.

"Noodle?" Shira asked

"We've been calling her noodle" Logan said

"Do I even want to know where that came from?"

"Probably not" Logan said

That night Rory and Logan were woken up around 2am by a screaming baby.

"I'll get a bottle" Logan said and got up to go make a bottle.

Rory sat up and got Delilah out of the bassinet that was next to the bed. Logan came back a minute later and took the baby from Rory so he could feed her.

"We'll get used to this, right?" Logan asked

"Hopefully" Rory said. "She's just lucky that she's so damn cute"

"She looks like you" Logan said. "Especially her eyes. She has those big blue eyes, just like her mama"

——

When Delilah was 3 weeks old, Logan went back to work. The first day that Rory was home alone with the baby, Lorelai came over to help her. Lorelai was in the living room, holding the baby and Rory was in the kitchen.

"How's wedding planning going?" Rory asked. Lorelai and Luke had gotten engaged a few month before.

"Good. Let me ask you something. Do you think she'll be a good flower girl?"

"She'll be 4 months old"

"So no?"

"No" Rory said. "What about Doula?"

"I don't know how capable a toddler is of being a flower girl"

"But a 4 month old is?"

"Why not?" Lorelai joked

Rory chuckled as she walked back into the living room with a bottle for Delilah.

"Give it to me. I'll do it" Lorelai said

"Are you sure?" Rory asked

"Give me the bottle"

When Logan got home he went straight over to Delilah and picked her up before quickly kissing Rory. He was only gone for 5 hours but he missed both Rory and Delilah a lot more than he thought he would.

Over the next few weeks Logan got used to leaving them, and Rory got used to being alone with the baby.

One morning Logan and Rory were eating breakfast while Delilah was still asleep, and Rory was opening mail and Logan was looking through some files for work.

"Hey look" Rory said as she pulled a card out of an envelope. "Lorelai Gilmore and Luke Danes. May 15th". She'd seen the invitation before but she was excited to actually be getting one. "And it's addressed to Rory and Logan Huntzberger"

Logan smiled. That was the first time their names had been together like that on anything.

Rory pinned the invitation to the cork board that was on the wall before going back to opening mail. "Look!" She gasped

"What is that?" Logan asked.

"My new license" Rory smiled. It had taken her a while to get her name legally changed after getting married so she was excited to have her new license that said her new name. "Lorelai Leigh Huntzberger" she said and handed it to Logan.

"Looks good, Ace" Logan smiled

"Yeah except that the picture looks like a mug shot"

"Have you seen my driver's license?" Logan asked

"Yeah, it's worse than mine" Rory chuckled

Just then Delilah started crying and Logan got up to get her.

"Hi noodle" Rory said and took her from Logan.

"I'm gonna go see Honor after work so I'll be home later" Logan said.

"Ok" Rory said.

"I will" Logan said. "Alright, I need to go. I love you" he said and kissed Rory. "And I love you" he kissed Delilah's forehead. "Bye" he kissed Rory one more time before leaving.

A couple of weeks later Rory and Logan took Delilah to Stars Hollow for the first time. They met Lorelai and Luke at the diner.

"Hey" Lorelai said when they walked into the diner

"Hi"

"She's literally my favorite thing in the whole world" Lorelai said as she took Delilah from Logan. "Aren't you?"

"Mine too" Rory said. "And I took the cutest picture of her and Logan last night"

"A picture that nobody will ever see" Logan added

"Just me" Rory said

"It can't be that bad" Luke said

"Last night she threw up all over herself and me at like 1 in the morning, so to make everybody's lives easier I just took her into the shower with me" Logan said "and Rory thought that was a good time for a picture"

"It was cute" Rory said

"Don't take naked pictures of me"

"You guys are hilarious" Lorelai said

"Your daughter is crazy" Logan said

"I think that makes you crazy for marrying me" Rory said

"Fine, we're both crazy"