nico's birthday

lol i accidentally typed "borthday" before i fixed it and it made me think of gru from despicable me.

Will looked out the window of the infirmary. Campers were walking around, holding hands with their partners, playing volleyball, and almost all of them were wearing orange camp t shirts. The only person not in a camp shirt was Nico. He was in all black. A black shirt with black skinny jeans and his aviator jacket. Will watched Nico fondly. They had been dating for about two months, and Will was so much happier. Nico was headed towards the woods, and he had something in his hands. Will was curious, so he ran out towards him, following him into the woods. He wasn't necessarily trying to spy on Nico, but he didn't want to embarrass him, so he followed him quietly. Nico stopped by a rock. Will crouched behind a tree, trying to read what was carved on the rock.

Bianca di Angelo
1928-2007

Nico had made her a tombstone. Nico knelt and set down the large chocolate cupcake he had in his hands and pulled a candle and a matchbox out of his pocket. He struck the match and lit the candle.
"Hey, Bianca. It's my birthday today. I'm finally older than you, B." Nico sniffled and wiped his cheeks. Nico hadn't told Will it was his birthday. Will didn't have anything ready or any gifts.
"I...I miss you a lot, B. I know Percy feels bad about you, and that he's genuinely sorry, but, that fatal flaw you mentioned keeps coming back. Grudges really will be the death of me." He laughed weakly. Will realized what Nico was saying. He didn't want to be mad at Percy for Bianca's death, but in his heart he still was.
"I brought a double chocolate cupcake. Our favorite. I thought we could...eat together." Nico began to hum "Happy Birthday". At the end if the song, he blew out the candle and unwrapped the cupcake. He broke the chocolate cupcake in half and ate his part halfheartedly. Tears were coming more steadily down his cheeks. He struck another match and burned the other half of the cupcake. After it was burned, Nico sat on the ground of the woods and cried. Will felt bad for Nico, and bad that he followed him, but also was glad that he could be there for Nico and help him celebrate his birthday. He got out from behind the tree and silently walked up to Nico, who had his face buried in his knees. Will crouched beside him.
"Neeks?" Nico looked up. When he realized it was Will, he quickly wiped his face and stood up.
"Hi, Will. I was just um...whatever let's just go." Nico started to walk away from the tombstone, but Will grabbed his wrist. Nico didn't fight it. He sighed.
"How much of...that..did you see?" he asked, his voice shaky.
"All of it. Nico, I want to help you." Will walked forward to meet Nico face to face. He held his face in his hands, and brought his eyes up to his own. Nico's chin trembled and his eyes were filled to the brim. Will pulled him into his chest, wrapped his arms tightly around his boyfriend. Nico hugged Will back, not wanting to let go. They hugged for a little, Nico taking comfort in the warmth of his boyfriend. When they pulled apart, Nico got a sudden thought to just kiss Will. They hadn't kissed yet, but it just felt right to him. He raised up on his tiptoes, and wrapped his hands around Will's neck, pulling him in. Will didn't pull away, so Nico went in and kissed him. Will melted and kissed back gently. After they kissed a little (a lot), they went back to the Apollo cabin, and Will threw a real birthday party for Nico. They ended the day together in the Hades cabin, and before Nico fell asleep, he heard four beautiful words whispered in his ear. No more than 12 letters, but it meant the world to him.

"I love you, Nico."

673 words