Nico overusing his powers

~Nico~

"Ahhh!" Nico screamed. He flailed his arms. He had been trying to shadow-travel himself and Will back to camp from their short visit to Italy, and he had lost control. Now he and Will were falling through the sky.

"Nico! Grab my hand!" Will shouted. Nico reached out. He was an inch too far away. Both boys reached as far as possible, and Nico grabbed Will's hand tight. He closed his eyes and teleported them to the woods of Camp Half Blood. The boys stood on the itchy grass. Nico opened his eyes and looked around. Suddenly, the world started to go black and his hands became translucent. He was falling into the darkness. Not again! Panic rose in his chest and he screamed in pain as the darkness grabbed at him.

"Will!" he sobbed. Will grabbed Nico as he fell backward, and hugged him to his chest.

"Shh...you're not going anywhere." Will picked him up bridal style and sat down in the grass, placing Nico in his lap. He stroked his face and held him as Nico sobbed. Fading away, as peaceful as it sounds, was so incredibly painful. Nico should've died, and the fact that it had happened to him on more than one occasion and that he's not dead is shocking. Nico leaned into Will's chest and cried in pain.

The darkness not only made you feel like every atom in your body was being ripped apart, it also preyed on your worst memories and fears.

Jason.
Bianca.
His mother.

Losing Will.
Being alone.
Losing his friends.

"Nico, I've got you. You're safe now, it's alright, shhh," Will whispered soothingly. He grabbed Nico's hand and rocked back and forth. Nico closed his eyes and took deep breaths, calming his sobbing down to series of hiccups. Will cradled Nico's head in his hand. He smiled, and it looked like the god Apollo was shining down at Nico. Will pressed their foreheads together.

"You're safe. I've got you, it's alright. I love you, Nico di Angelo." Will's voice was so calming. Nico felt his eyelids droop. "You can sleep. It's okay, my love. I will keep you safe. I love you."

And Nico fell asleep.

————

~Will~

Will stroked Nico's head as he slept. He kept him wrapped tight in his arms. He slowly and carefully stood up, carrying Nico bridal style. He mostly knew where he was and how to get to the infirmary. He kissed Nico's forehead and started walking.

As he walked, he watched Nico and tried to imagine what he could be dreaming about. He tried to take away some of Nico's sadness and pain, and instead give him some happiness, but it hadn't seemed to work very well. That is, until Will noticed him smiling in his sleep. A grin spread itself across Will's face and he continued walking towards camp.

Eventually, he made it into the center of camp. He smiled, proud of himself for getting them to camp. He wasn't too sure about knowing how to get into camp, but was glad he found it. On the way to the Hades cabin, he ran into Percy, who took one look at the unconscious Nico and feared the worst.

"Is he..." Percy went pale. "Oh gods, Will, tell me he's okay." Percy's voice had a nervous and almost threatening edge to it.

"He's okay. He almost died from overuse of shadow travel, but he's okay now that he's resting." Percy's face relaxed.

"Good. I couldn't stand to lose him, he's like a little brother. Annoying and allergic to socializing, but he's cute in a way," Percy said, and he ruffled Nico's hair as he walked away.

"I couldn't stand to lose you, either," Will admitted quietly to himself. "I don't know what I'd do without him"

"Aw, well thank you William." Will looked down at the boy in his arms. He was smiling up at him. "I heard you."

Will laughed and kissed Nico's forehead. "Well, it's true. But now, you know the drill. Thr-"

"Three days in the infirmary. Yup."

"Actually, I was gonna say three days of boyfriend treatment. We just sit around and watch movies together and I give you all the kisses I want," Will said, laying Nico down on his bed in the Hades cabin. Nico smiled.

"I think I'm ok with that." Will laid down next to him, gently placing kisses down his neck.

"I love you, Neeks. Don't scare me like that again."

"I won't. I love you, too, my little care bear."

758 words