𝟏𝟐. ❙𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐚 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐞

❛ 𝑪𝑰𝑹𝑪𝑼𝑺 𝑭𝑹𝑬𝑨𝑲 ❜
════════◅∘≼≽∘▻════════
•☼.⭒✻❙ 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐀 𝐂𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐄 ❙✻⭒.☼•

❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭

❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭. ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝑪𝑨𝑵'𝑻 𝑯𝑬𝑳𝑷 𝑭𝑨𝑳𝑳𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑰𝑵 𝑳𝑶𝑽𝑬
𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒍𝒆𝒚

❛ take my hand, take my whole life too ❜

        𝑆𝑇𝐸𝑉𝐸 𝐻𝐴𝐷 𝑁𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝑅𝑈𝐿𝑌 felt heartbreak. He's broken up with plenty of girls, had falling outs with friends, but this was a new, horrific feeling his heart was experiencing. Steve loves Nancy, he knows he does, but losing Jacqueline to what he believed to be psychotic delusions was a hurt he had never before gone through.

As he had finally returned home after the devastating loss, Steve locked himself in his room. Having to listen to his father's judgement or witness his mother's oblivion would only worsen his headache. Steve ran a stressed hand through his thick hair just before he spotted a green sweater laying on his bed.

It was Jacqueline's; the one she was wearing when she suddenly reappeared in the woods. Jacqueline's sweater was all ripped and dirty, so before she went back home, Steve had lent her one of his shirts instead. He had been re-knitting her sweater with different coloured yarn to fix the missing parts. It was a talent he always had, but never spoke of. At least not to most people.

Sixteen year old Jacqueline was standing outside, attempting to escape the flustering chaos of Thanksgiving in her home. She was leaning against her father, Thomas's, car, as she had a cigarette between her lips. Jacqueline was enjoying the nice, cool breeze when she suddenly watched her neighbour, Steve Harrington, rush out of his house with tears in his eyes.

Steve never noticed the girl with bright red hair. He did, however, do the same thing as she and light a cigarette between his lips. Although, his lighter seemed to be not working, so he simply sighed, which was when Steve looked up. Jacqueline sent him a small smile, but he wished to be alone; find solitude.

Steve cursed under his breath and moved to go back inside his home, but Jacqueline called back to him, forcing him to turn back, "Angel Face, get that perfect ass of yours back over here."

Steve rolled his eyes, annoyed she seemed to have power over him, but nonetheless, Steve walked back. He leaned against his own father's car as Jacqueline walked towards him. With Steve's cigarette between his lips, Jacqueline lit it for him with her own lighter as she asked, "What's wrong?"

"My dad." The amount of times Steve had bumped into Jacqueline when he felt he had no one to turn to was astonishing. Steve doesn't know her, like her, understand her, yet Jacqueline probably knew him better than anyone, which was why she wasn't shocked that Mr. Harrington was the problem. "What'd he do this time?"

"Promise you won't laugh?" Steve immediately needed clarification, even if he already knew the answer.

Jacqueline took a step back from Steve after she had brought her own cigarette to her lips. "I'd never laugh at you, you know that."

Steve took a deep breath and wiped his cheek, where a tear was beginning to fall, but he wanted to appear stronger in front of Jacqueline, yet he also felt he could be true. "...I've kind of gotten into knitting and my dad threw out everything I made."

"You knit?"

"You said you wouldn't laugh." Steve reminded, but Jacqueline shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not. I think that's cool."

Jacqueline used the edge of her maroon sweater to wipe away another tear that was escaping Steve's eyes. He himself was slightly shocked that Jacqueline wasn't judging him for his interest. Of course, it made sense. A girl who's been judged her entire life would never discredit anyone else's interests. "I pretty much only wear knitted sweaters, so I might force you to make me one."

"Well, I can't anymore." Steve acknowledged as he looked down at the ground. Jacqueline felt for the boy, she truly did. Steve should never have to give up his passion simply because it's feminine.

"Wait here a second." Jacqueline quickly rushed back inside, leaving Steve out in the cold. He took a deep breath and wiped away more of his tears. He hated that he was being so vulnerable in front of this girl, but not once had she acknowledged his breakdown in a negative way. If this was anyone else, Steve would never hear the end of it.

Jacqueline had returned to the outdoors momentarily with knitting hooks and white yarn in her hands. She held them out for Steve to take, who furrowed his eyebrows, so Jacqueline pushed them into his chest, forcing him to take the materials. "My grandma got these for me, but I didn't really want to learn how to knit. They're just gonna sit on my desk, so you can have them."

Steve looked down at the yarn and back up at the girl, who no longer had a cigarette; she must have extinguished it in her room. "...You really don't think this is weird?"

"I'm not really in a position to judge anyone. Besides, I think it's cool. I wanna see the stuff you make." Steve's eyes were showing flattery and slight confusion. He wasn't used to anyone appreciated his interests.

"Don't let anyone shit on your hobbies. If you like to knit, then knit. It's a good hobby, you can make all your own clothes. But you should just be happy no matter what people say. And your dad's just being a dick again, he had no right to throw out your stuff. I know it's hard to ignore him, but you know I'm usually outside smoking. I wouldn't mind just watching you knit, keep you company."

Very randomly and suddenly, Steve pulled the girl into a hug. His eyes were still watering and Steve was clearly in an emotional state, so Jacqueline hugged him back. Her arms were resting on his shoulders, her fingers playing the edges of Steve's hair to comfort him. It was shockingly helpful as Steve hid his face in her neck. This was a first for both of them, but it was peaceful.

"I'm really sorry." Steve suddenly apologized.

"For what?"

"Everything..."

❝ 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞, 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐬𝐚𝐥. ❞

- 𝒋𝒂𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒏

❘ ❙ ❚ ❚ ❙ ❘