Two Deans

The Final would be held in the afternoon, so Xue Rui went to her dorm to rest. While Huo Yuhao and Wang Dong went to who knows where.

Xue Rui didn’t care. She was again summoned by Xie Siran. She was extremely tired and didn’t want to go but thinking of cultivating with him can give twice the result with half efforts, she still went.

"Get the first place. I recommend you to the academy. You will get a prize and core student quota." Before Xue Rui could start her greetings, she was stuffed with commands. This crazy guy! No wonder every student in the outer courtyard calls him a cultivation maniac.

"Okay. Why are you saying that twice? What is the prize? Do you know?"

"I don't know."

Xue Rui felt speechless. But knowing that Huo Yuhao's team would win in the end, she had no pressure to promise this. "Let's do our double cultivation!"

Xie Siran's ear suddenly flushed red as he said, "Please mind your words."

Xue Rui:??? Did she say something wrong?

The Assessment Arena seemed eerily quiet. Even though they’d already reached the finals of the freshmen assessment’s knock-out tournament, there were no spectating students.

Shrek Academy did its best to keep an element of privacy regarding a student’s abilities. Thus, students definitely wouldn’t be able to spectate other’s assessments.

Any students who weren’t participating in the assessment had to continue their classes. Thus, today was the day when there was the fewest number of students in the Assessment Arena.

However, a lack of students didn’t mean that there was a small amount of people present. Almost all of the teachers who didn’t have any classes were gathered at the Assessment Arena to watch the finals. Even the Dean of Shrek Academy, Yan Shaozhe, had personally come to watch this match. Accompanied by Du Weilun and the other teachers, he walked up to the tall stage.

Even though this was only a freshmen assessment that was held three months after school had started, nearly all of the students from Shrek Academy’s inner courtyard had revealed their talents during this freshmen assessment. As a result of this, they were regarded highly by the college and nurtured. The reason that Dean Yan Shaozhe had come was due to the extraordinary strength of this year’s batch of new students. Normally, even students of Shrek Academy would need around three years or so to reach the three-ringed rank. At the same time, cultivation of three rings was required for third-year students to be promoted to fourth-year students.

However, there had actually been four new students who were already at the three-ringed rank. With this level of strength, they were practically guaranteed to enter the inner courtyard in the future. Even Yan Shaozhe himself wished to see which of the two teams would become the champions of this year’s batch of freshmen.

However, the team he was paying the most attention to was Huo Yuhao’s team, due to Du Weilun’s report. Not to mention, Xue Rui was a third ring soul elder, Wang Dong's performance could definitely be described with the word ‘breathtaking’.

Wang Dong’s Radiant Butterfly Goddess was an unrivaled martial soul that was second to none, even in Shrek Academy. On the other hand, Xue Rui’s potential as a twin-souled soul master was even larger. Soul masters who possessed twin martial souls had been rarities during the early days of the Douluo Continent, and that still holds true to this day. Even as the number one academy in the world, Shrek Academy currently only has four students, including Xue Rui, with twin martial souls. And another freshman Xiao Xiao. The other two students were already disciples of the inner courtyard, and they were all ranked among the top 10 overall students of the Academy.

However, he was unwilling to give a core student quota to Huo Yuhao. There were a lot of factors to consider before choosing a core student. He couldn’t see any positive factors about Huo Yuhao.

"Weilun, who do you favor in today’s match?” Yan Shaozhe asked with a smile.

Du Weilun chuckled. “I’m slightly more confident in Dai Huabin’s team. Although Huo Yuhao’s team had a soul elder like Xue Rui she is not as powerful as Dai Huabin, not to mention Huo Yuhao is only a one-ring soul master. The overall strength of Dai Huabin’s team is definitely somewhat stronger than that of Huo Yuhao’s team. This is especially so for his two teammates; they’re both quite strong. All three of them have a decent chance at entering the inner courtyard in the future.”

Yan Shaozhe smiled and nodded. At that exact moment, a vigorous voice suddenly rang out, “Since Director Du thinks that Dai Huabin will win, I’ll say that the other party will win.”

Yan Shaozhe didn’t even turn around, but the trace of a smile had already appeared on his face, “Qian Duoduo, why’d a fella like you come running over here? As soon as I smelled the scent of copper from your body, I knew it was you.”

The newcomer was a sturdy fifty-or-so-year-old man. He didn’t have any wrinkles on his face, but he had a head full of white hair that resembled steel needles, making him look like someone who’d experienced a lot in life. His tall, stalwart body looked as if it had been carved from granite itself, and he was at least 2.2 meters tall. His wide shoulders and rugged muscles didn’t seem to have gone limp due to his age, while his bronze skin glowed with a metallic luster due to the rays of the sun, and a strong smell of metal wafted off his body. Fan Yu was following behind him.

Yan Shaoze didn’t even look back, but Du Weilun had already turned around, a trace of astonishment flashing through his eyes. He hurriedly bowed in respect. “Vice-Dean Qian, what do you do? What brings you here?”

Qian Duoduo who always had a smile on his face was the Vice-Dean of the Soul Tool Department, who took care of the daily activities within it. He had a lofty position in the Soul Tool Department, and he only had one person above him. His position in Shrek Academy was slightly higher than even Du Weilun’s.

In Shrek Academy, promotions couldn’t be randomly given out. There were two main ways to obtain a promotion: The first method was based on a teacher’s ability to teach, as well as the contributions he’d made to the Academy, while the other method was by relying on one’s own strength. Throughout the enormous Shrek Academy, there were only a total of four Vice-Deans, and they could be considered the true backbones of Shrek Academy. However, a person who’d obtained such a high position clearly hadn’t done it by doing something as simple as contributing to the Academy. Their individual strengths were all at their peak.

Vice-Dean Qian Duoduo chuckled. “I was just passing by when I heard you and Old Yan guessing who would win. I personally like betting, so Old Yan, would you like to bet with me?”

Yan Shaozhe finally turned around, laughing as he did so. “A fellow who smells of copper like you would never come here without a reason. I don’t believe that you’ve come here with such a simple purpose in mind. If you’re coveting the people from our Martial Soul Department, you’d better take a look before doing anything.”

Qian Duoduo casually walked over to Yan Shaozhe and sat down. “What do you mean, ‘the people from our Martial Soul Department’? They’re only freshmen. They haven’t chosen their Departments yet. You can say that again when they’ve made their final choices in their third year. Your Martial Soul Department just provides a foundational level of education to these freshmen. So come on, do you wanna bet or not?”

Du Weilun had already moved to one side, greeting Fan Yu as he did so. Fan Yu smiled in return, and the two found a place to sit behind the two Vice-Deans.

Yan Shaozhe wasn’t fooled by Qian Duoduo’s provocation. He smiled and shook his head. “I’m not going to bet with you. Old Qian, you’re even trying to make a quick buck from me. When I get back, just watch me tell on you to Lin’er.”

Qian Duoduo’s facial muscles twitched as he indignantly said, “Give me a break, you were an expert at acting shamelessly even when you were young. I’m more moral than you. You use Lin’er as a shield every time, do you have any face at all?”

As Du Weilun listened on, his heart twitched. These two major figures—who could change the entire balance of the Douluo Continent—are actually arguing over here. If the students were to hear them…

Yan Shaozhe chuckled as he looked at Qian Duoduo’s indignant expression. “Fine, what do you want to bet?”