Peanut | Chapter 39

Lex's POV:

The air felt cool. Almost like laying on the beach after the sun has set. My mind was quiet and my body felt calm. I sprawled out in the center of the bed making sheet angels as I yawned, eyes closed as the smell of pancakes filled my nostrils. If this isn't enough to make me open my eyes, I don't know what will be. I slid out of bed and headed downstairs following the scent. I'd be lying if I said my nausea wasn't about to fill my stomach before these pancakes. Morning sickness is gonna be the death of me. I suppressed it to the best of my ability and turned the corner, seeing a familiar set of locks. "Good Morning Miss Lex! I made pancakes! I hope that's alright."

I grabbed a glass of water and sat at the island. "Good Morning Francesco. That sounds wonderful. Have you seen Nick?" He placed the freshly made breakfast in front of me and refilled my water. "I have. He told me to make sure you ate and to tell you he loves you. He will back home later, but you're not allowed to know why." I nodded and patted the seat next to me. "You work hard, Francesco. Eat breakfast with me." He looked at me shocked and fixed a plate for himself. "No one has ever asked me to sit with them and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Thank you Miss Lex." I laughed and bit into my pancakes. "Just Lex is fine. We're friends." His freshly softened expression revealed that he had never had an encounter like this before. He was used to working for someone and not enjoying their company. "Well, Lex. I hear congratulations are in order. You're having a baby?" I looked down to my flat stomach and nodded. "It's new. But yes, thank you Francesco. I'm sorry but you might have to deal with a few cravings here and there." He chewed his latest bite before smiling at me. "I can't wait to see what wacky combinations we come up with, Lex."

________

"Let's go baby mama!!! We're going to Target." Angela screamed from her car window as I locked the front door. I laughed and hopped in the back seat, Kat changed the song from her phone and turned around to face me. "HELLO BABY MAMA YOU ARE GLOWING." I laughed as I fastened my seat belt. "Is that my nickname now?" Angela smiled wide and nodded her head. The rest of the group decided it after you and Nick left the party. That baby is ours just as much as it's yours." We arrived at the Target not too long after, grabbing a cart and Starbucks before heading for the baby aisle. "Lex! Look at how cute these little overalls would be for our baby!" Kat held up the clothes as Angela slid a pair of white sneakers underneath as if they were showing me a complete look. My heart filled with joy as I took a bite of my cake pop. "I'm glad you guys are so excited. It makes me so happy." "We cannot wait!! You have no idea!" Kat smiled and placed the overalls and baby sneakers into the cart. "These are universal. Either way, the baby is wearing them and now I need overalls to match!"
_____

"Babe?!" I placed my purse and shopping bags on the table, looking around the first floor of the house, hoping Nick was finally home. I removed my hoodie and slip on vans, leaving on a sports bra and leggings. The cool air in the house sent goosebumps down my spine as a small white box caught my eye. A gold glitter ribbon laced around the cube with a note hanging from the top of the bow.
As soon as I reached for the box, I heard the front door click open. "Lex?" I ran to the door, preparing to meet Nick. To my surprise, Cardell was standing in front of me. Cardell and I had planned to have kids around the same time as each other since we were in middle school so him being here means everything to me. He swept me up into a hug and placed me gently back on my feet. "I hope you don't mind. I brought my girlfriend, Natalee. Nick picked us up at the airport. We wanted to spend some time with you guys and the baby?!?!" I laughed and ushered them into the house, giving Nat a hug on her way in. "Where's Nick?" Cardell sat down on the couch, immediately wrapping himself in the throw blanket. "Right here!" He pulled me in for a kiss before I could even register that he was home. "How's my peanut?" I looked down. "Very good today!" He smirked and kissed my forehead. "I trust you had a good day?" I grabbed his face and rested my forehead on his. "Yes. Thank you. I love you." He shrugged his shoulders and pouted. "I expected your day to be miserable without me." I rolled my eyes, laughing and sat on the couch with everyone. Natalee smiled at me. "When do we see what the baby looks like?" I crossed my legs and leaned into Nick's lap. "Nick and I go tomorrow morning, actually." She clapped and squealed. "I can't wait to see if we can tell who the baby will look like!" Cardell sunk further into the cusions. "Well you have us for a week to help set anything up if you want." I smiled and grabbed Nick's hand excitedly. "Thank you guys for coming. It means the world to me."

Hours went by and we all headed to bed. Nick made his way into our room once I had gotten comfortable under the blankets.
"You forgot this." His hand was mere inches away from my face, the tiny little white and gold box in his palm. My eyes found their way to the small note first.

mommy,

thank you for taking such good care of me already. daddy helped me pick out this little gift to show you that you are important to us. we both love you so much. - love, Peanut.

***** thank you guys so much for over 2k reads. 😭🥲 my little heart can't even express how appreciative I am. I love you 💕-Lex***