Life Is Short | Chapter 44

Lex's POV:
"Congratulations you two. You're going to make the best parents."

"After us, Dani. Don't let them fool you. We've been doing this for years."

Nick stared in awe at the wall as his thumb rubbed circles on my cheek. "I'm so happy."

"I am too... I couldn't be happier."

"We've gotta tell the rest of the family."

Kevin chimed in as he closed the can of paint. "You guys thinking what I'm thinking?"

I smiled and nodded. "I definitely am." Nick looked at us confused. "I'm gonna call Ray. Its cabin time!" Kevin kissed Dani's cheek and pulled out his phone. "I'll call mom and dad. And then I'll text the group chat and tell them this weekend, we're all headed to the cabin."
_____

"Lex! How's the baby?"

I laughed as Ray pulled me into a huge hug. "The baby is good!" Kevin invited my whole family and his along with the friends of course to the cabin for the weekend. He had Francesco and his family also join us since Peanut refuses to let me keep food down unless he cooks it. "Sorry Francesco. You're gonna be cooking all day." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Peanut has me doing that anyway with your cravings." Bags of ice, food, and bottles of wine were carried in numerous trips up the driveway and into the house. "Lex! We got you White Cranberry juice! And the Uno is in the car! Dibs on being on Peanut's team!!" Joe proudly held up two bottles from the end of the driveway.
_____
"Remember the first time we were here?" I felt Nick's warm hands on my waist and then slide to my stomach. "You were my first crush, my prom date, and now you're the mother of my first child." I ran my fingers through his long curls and smiled. "Do you remember when we shared our first kiss in here?" His pinky locked with mine as he kissed my forehead. "How could I forget about the day I had been waiting for over a decade for?" I pulled one of Nick's hoodies out of his bag and slid it on. "Are you excited to tell everyone the gender?"

"Of course. I mean we're having a ——"

"Nick!!! Come check out the bar with me and Kev!" He gave me an apologetic smile as Joe pulled him down the stairs.
_____

"Knock knock."

"Come in!"

"How's my baby?"

I rubbed my stomach. "The baby is good!"

Grandpa smiled and wrapped his arm around me. "I'm glad the baby is good but I meant you." I smiled and leaned into his hug. "I'm great, grandpa. Thank you by the way. None of this would have happened if you didn't switch up the seats for Thanksgiving." He whispered in my ear after looking around. "One day when he was on the phone with Ray, I overheard Nick say he wanted to try and see where things could go with you if you gave him the chance. So, I decided to start the process. That boy has always been head over heels for you. You guys have been through a lot in a short amount of time. But you've also known each other for damn near your whole life. Life is short, Lex. I know he's the one for you."

______

Alena and Valentina were in charge of gathering everyone in the living room so that we could reveal the gender of the baby.

"Aunt Lex, uncle Nick said you would let us tell everyone! He told us already." I nodded as everyone sat down and waited. Valentina spoke up with a grin from ear to ear. "Is everyone ready?"

"Don't make us wait forever!"

"I paused Uno for this!"

"What is it?!"

Alena grabbed Valentina's hand and counted down. She whispered something in her ear and they started giggling.

"We're waiting here!!"

"Okay! Okay! It's a—- ."

"Aunt Lex, Will you marry Uncle Nick?"