Spilled Drinks & Phone Numbers

❁ ❁ ❁

❁ ❁ ❁

"How's my Gracie girl?" Jane squeals as she engulfs me in a bear hug. She does this everyday, evertime I walk through the door for my shift. Jane is the only friend I have, and she's a pretty good one too. We're both outsiders, but Jane is more social than me. Apparently she is part of an art club, which she talks nonstop about. She never had the money or drive to go to college, but she is the smartest person I have ever met.

"I'm fine," I respond my usual answer and grab my apron and notepad, tying my hair up into a bun. After school rush is about to start, my least favorite part of my job. Having to see all my peers again is not something I enjoy.

I hear the bell above the diner door ring. "Better go take someone's order," I say, smiling while waving the notepad in the air. Working at the restaurant seems to make me feel better, it keeps me busy, distracting me from everything else I have to worry about. Plus Jane is freaking hilarious and makes my worst days better.

She turns back to the stove where she was frying up some burgers. I head out of the kitchen to greet our customers. When I see who walked through the door, I stop.

It's Isaac. He sits in a red booth with some kid named Luke I used to know. They are laughing, looking over the menus and talking about who knows what. He's already made a friend.