Returns From The Past & Trusts Broken

❁ ❁ ❁

❁ ❁ ❁

Our forks scrape across our plates at the breakfast table. Silence fills the air, Isaac has barely said a word since that night, and its now our last day in Florida. He hasn't told his mom, and although I can tell she wants to know what happened, she doesn't ask. And Mia is just oblivious to the tension among us, happily munching on her cereal.

I don't think Isaac slept at all last night. He was completely restless. He would toss and turn, talk to himself in his sleep. I would hear a couple sniffles from him now and then, and when I tried to talk to him he didn't respond. I didn't push it, though, because I know exactly how he feels. I've been in the same position. I just wish he would open up to me.
But he remained silent, which I respected. Let him get some air, god knows he needs some time to breathe.

"I was thinking I'd take Mia to the science museum today," Ms. Richards finally breaks the silence. "You two don't have to come. Isaac, you know the city well enough. You and Grace should find something fun to do."

Isaac nods his head. "Okay." Is all he says. He picks at his eggs a few times before sitting up straight, pushing out of his chair, and laying his napkin on the table. "I'm going to go get a shower."

It's as if everything he does is rehearsed. His words come across soft and broken, his movements seem slow and carefully thought out. Ms. Richards looks at me once he walks away, obviously confused.