Home Visits & One Word Answers

Chapter 41: Home Visits & One Word Answers

Ignore weird typos and mistakes

*A sweet and simple closing chapter. Epilogue after this*

4 Years Later

Grace

Life was brilliant.

Wonderful. Extravagant. Marvelous.

I haven't talked to my dad in four years.

I don't miss it.

Isaac and I have both graduated from university. The ceremony was amazing. I'll be starting my career as a photographer. And Isaac is enrolling in law school a few hours away from Chicago.

We decided to come home for a few days after our last semester ended, and Ms. Richards was kind enough to let us stay at her house. It's been lovely to see her and Mia again, who is now a freshman in high school. It's strange being back home. Now, it's our last day.

"So, how was lunch with Jane yesterday?" Isaac asks. It's mid morning as we walk through the town park, relishing in old memories of our high school years. His hand is around my waist and a gentle, sweet, summer breeze blows our hair.

"It was so nice to catch up in person. She got another dog to keep Leo company," I say, smiling as I watch a couple children run around the open fields. "How is Luke doing?"

"He is well. I think he is going to move out to California, there's an architectural city he would love to work at down there." Isaac explains.

"It's so nice to be back home." I state, heart filled with content.

"This is where it all started," Isaac says softly. "I was thinking, since it's our last full day, I want to take you out to dinner."

"Okay, we could go to the diner. Or Buddy's," I suggest.

"Although those are absolutely wonderful ideas, I want to take you to a specific restaurant. You know Luci's, the Italian restaurant?" He answers.

My eyes widen. "You mean the one in the city? Isaac, their meals are nearly twenty dollars a plate."

"I know, but I think we deserve a night out. After all, we made it through college with only a minimal number of mental breakdowns." He points out.

I chuckle. "I better try and find something nice to wear."

He kisses the side of my head. "I'm sure you'll find something."

And with that, we continue our walk, soaking in the unending bliss of being next to each other.

~

I finish up my shower and wrap myself up in a bathrobe. I use a towel to wipe away the fog on the mirror. Not much has changed since senior year of high school. My hair has finally learned how to be less frizzy. Still not any taller. My face is a little skinnier. But that's about it.

I hear Isaac getting ready on the other side of the bathroom door. There's some sounds of movement, and then the noise of paper and hangers. I can only imagine what he is up to.