Ice Cream Dates & Accepted Feelings

❁ ❁ ❁

❁ ❁ ❁

I wake up the next morning feeling like death.

The minute I open my eyes, nausea overwhelms me. I sit up, forehead beaded with sweat, and untangle my legs from the covers. I sprint to the bathroom, leaning over the toilet and coughing into the bowl, yet nothing comes up as I haven't had food in nearly a day.

I stand up, wiping my mouth and looking into the mirror, and then instantly wishing I hadn't. My hair is a frizzy mess, skin flushed and dark bags under my eyes; I look like a walking disaster.

I quickly wash my hands, onto to cough into them once more, and head back to my bed, leaning down and scooping Romeo up. He meows in refusal, wanting to stay asleep on the soft comforter. I scratch the back of his head to get him to hush as I slowly climb the stairs, each step taking a big amount of energy.

I make my way into the kitchen, and place Romeo on the counter. I find a note on the fridge. I rip it from the tape and read it.

  Grace-
       I'll be gone for the day with Caroline. Hope you slept well.
-Dad

I roll my eyes, tearing the sticky note in half and tossing it into the trash. I pull some plain crackers from the fridge as I walk to the laundry room and open the medicine cabinet, Romeo scampering at my heels. I pull out the thermometer and place it in my ear, waiting for the beep as it reads my temperature. Once it makes a sound, I pull it out and read the small numbers. 101.2. Great.