Chapter 9 - Fainting

Brooke's POV

Austin's gone. The funny, kind, amazing Austin. He's gone. For good.

Its been a day since I found out about his death. I barely sleep at night. I just stay up all night weeping.

He didn't deserve to die. The worst part was, it was my fault he died. If I didn't run away, Jace wouldn't come and kill Austin. If I didn't agree to go out on a date with him, this wouldn't have happened. He had fought back, because he knew that if he didn't, Jace would drag me away. He died because of me.

I wasn't eating either. Just a few sips of water here and there when I got thirsty. I could feel my wolf getting weaker and I really couldn't care less.

I've never left the room since Taylor told me the news of Austin's death. That's it. I wasn't going to waste away. No, I was going out, to hang out with Taylor. Maybe it'll take my mind off of him. I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try. At this point, I'd try anything.

I headed to the bathroom to freshen up before meeting up with Taylor. I looked horrible. Ok, worse than that. My eyes were all red and puffy from crying,my nose was as red as a tomato, and dried tears streamed my cheeks. I washed my face. It didn't help much. I decided to just leave it with the way I looked. I don't think anything will help me look like I have not been crying for 24 hours straight. Even if I do succeed, I would probably burst into tears again.

The memory of Austin's death filled my mind once more and I tried furiously to blink back my tears. I wasn't going to cry anymore. Come on Brooke. You've got to stay strong. Okay. Deep breaths.

The moment I finally gained control of myself and stopped myself from crying, I left the room.

Feeling lazy to ask a maid where Taylor was, I sniffed out her scent instead and followed it.

It led me to the kitchen that wasn't that far from the room I was in before. Taylor was baking. Typical Taylor. Baking was her passion. During the 2 weeks when I was with her pack, we had baked cookies, cakes, cupcakes... You name it, we've baked it.

"What are you baking this time?" I hoped it was cupcakes. They are my favourite, especially the chocolate chip ones.

She jumped. "OMG Brooke! You scared me! And I'm making your favourite!" I grinned. I loved Tay's baking.

We began talking about everything under the sun. I was glad though, that she had so kindly left out the topic of Austin. I didn't need to remember that right now.

I was staring out into space now. Taylor was talking about her mate and I don't really want to remember mine. My wolf was howling for her mate and I did my best to ignore her, which didn't help much.

An intoxicating scent filled my nostrils. I recognised it easily. Jace. Taylor seemed to notice his presence as well and stopped mid-sentence.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and sparks flew upon contact. I whirled around.

At that moment, Taylor happened to realise that she forgot to buy cupcake holders and left to go get some, winking at me as she left. I glared at her. Great. Now I'm all alone with Jace. Isn't this just wonderful? NOT.

"We need to talk." He said, not once breaking eye contact.

"We are talking." I looked away. His eyes were making my wolf go nuts.

"No, I mean, about us..." Crap. I've been trying to avoid this topic since well, forever.

"There is no us." I started to walk away. But he grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Look, just give me a chance. I promise you, you won't regret it." He sounded desperate.

"No. Let me go! I said, LET ME GO!" I pulled my hand away from his grasp. My head started spinning and my head hurt a whole lot.

My legs felt weak, and familiar black spots filled my vision. Then, my eyes fell shut and I fell forward... Into Jace's arms.

...

I felt lips press against mine and sparks erupted on my lips. It was almost as if on instinct, I kissed back. My eye lids flew open. I saw who I was kissing. I screamed and pushed him away immediately. It didn't really do much to him, for I was weak and he was an alpha. Yes, it was Jace.

I glanced at Jace's direction. He smiled apologetically, then said, "I'm sorry Brooke. You were in a coma, and the doctor thought that if I kissed you, you'd wake up. It worked though."

I knew he was sorry, but I was still mad at him. I didn't want him to kiss me. At all.

I suddenly realised what he just said and my eyes widened in shock. "I went into a coma? Why?" It was not natural for a wolf to go into comas. There were only a few rare cases in the world.

"Luna Brooke, if I may explain. It's because yo-" I cut him of halfway.

"Don't call me that. I don't want to be Luna." I really didn't.

"I'm sorry, Brooke." I nodded my head, signaling that he can continue his earlier sentence.

"Your wolf is dying, Brooke." That sentence caught me off guard. I knew the reason for my coma would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. Once your wolf dies, half of you dies with it. You will not be a werewolf anymore. You'd be a human, which was possibly the worst thing that could happen to a wolf.

"Wh...what?" I finally managed to choke out.

"Your wolf is dying." He repeated.

"Why?" I say softly.

"There are multiple reasons. First off, you appear to have been blocking your wolf a lot. That might have been one of the reasons. Also, your ignoring your mate bond. That's another reason. And lastly, you haven't been eating and sleeping well and that has been affecting your wolf too." I nodded in response. I couldn't let my wolf die. There must be some way.

"Is there any way at all the save my wolf?" I needed to know.

"There is a chance but you might not like it very much. You'd have to complete the mating process." He was right. I don't like it.

"But even so, it might not work," he continued, "I understand you do not want to do it so soon, so as for now, I would suggest you not block your wolf, go for as many runs as possible, eat well, sleep more and try to stay as close to Alpha Jace as possible."

I simply nodded my head. It was too much information for me to take in. "Thank you, doctor." I heard Jace say. It scared me a little, because I had forgotten he was there. He had been quiet throughout the whole thing.

We left the small pack hospital. Jace never went more than a meter away from me. We were quiet, until finally he spoke up. "Please Brooke. Please give me one chance." His pleading eyes almost made me say 'yes', but I retrained myself.

"No, I'm sorry Jace." With that, I walked away. I didn't care that the doctor said I had to stay near him. I just wanted to be alone.

--------------------

So

Fan

Comment

VOTE

My fish says hi...