Chapter 15 - Gemma

Brooke's POV

It would probably sadden you to know that Jace still hasn't waken up yet. The doctors have tried everything. And I do mean, EVERYTHING. They've been giving him medicine, most of which I have never heard of before in my life, but he hasn't been responding to them.

But what worries me the most, is that he might not wake up at all. Any moment now, there was a possibility of his heart to stop beating, and he would just die. I knew I had to be optimistic though. There was also a possibility of him waking up. Personally, I prefer the latter.

Jace hasn't been getting any better, and I wasn't either. Jace being in a coma has taken its toll on me in the worst way possible. Depression. That would probably be the appropriate name for it. Sobbing, most of the time. Secretly though. In the corner of my room. Cutting, sometimes. I healed fast, so everyone has yet to see the damage. I did have scars, but they can be so easily hidden with a couple of bracelets.

I knew if Jace found out, he would throw a fit. Yet, I continued to do so, careful to not let anyone suspect anything. I also knew, that this was all bad for me. I didn't care at all.

My wolf would usually be the one to stop me from doing anything stupid, and she would be doing exactly that, except she wasn't talking to me anymore. She was grieving too, by shutting herself out from me. I had been worried at first, that she might just die. But who cares anymore? Now that Jace was in a coma, I just couldn't care less about everything and anything.

I stared at the heart monitor, as it released soft 'beeps' every once and a while. That machine was the only thing keeping me alive, by letting me know that Jace is still breathing, that there was still hope.

A doctor came in just then. I recognized him, for he was the one in charge of Jace's condition. Doctor Francis was his name. I rose from where I was sitting, and turned to face the doctor. His face was grim, and somehow I knew he was here with only bad news. I braced myself for the worst, and kept repeating the words 'he'll be okay' to myself over and over and over again. It didn't help him physically, of course. But it might've helped me mentally, in some absurd way, because I felt a little better.

"I suspect," he hesitated, then continued by saying, "That Jace's wolf might be dying as well."

Trust me, I am just as shocked as you are right now. Maybe even more shocked. Just a week before, he had told me the news of my wolf dying. Both our wolves were dying now? How is that so coincidental. It was almost strange. The doctor must've noticed my confusion, because he started on an explanation. A very much needed explanation.

"I think, that because of the mate bond, his wolf must've been affected by your wolf dying. This probably happened before the battle, and so when he went into the battle, his wolf suffered more. I fear, though, that his wolf is already dead." His voice cracked at the end, and sadness was evident in his tone.

My face paled, and I started breathing heavier. I was worried for him. Without his wolf, who knows what  might happen? He might go mad, without his wolf. He might even slowly die. But I wasn't only worried for him. I was worried for us. The mate bond. It might slowly fade, and we'd be like two strangers. My heart clenched at the thought, which I desperately tried to forget. Just when I thought that maybe I loved him, he might not love me back.

The doctor added, "It's just a theory though." Under different circumstances, I would've laughed. As if that, would help me at all! Just the mere thought of there being a possibility of that happening, would already get me freaking out.

I nodded my head, dismissing him.

Rummaging through my bag, I searched for the one thing that would help me.