Chapter 11 - Just friends...

Jace's POV

"I....."

She was thinking hard. I was getting scared at what her answer would be. Werewolves only get one mate. There was never a case where a werewolf ever got two mates. Brooke is the only one I'd ever get. The only one I would possibly love.

I fiddled with my fingers nervously as I awaited her response.

"Time. I need time." She whispered. Her answer was clear, yet I still needed some time to comprehend what she had said.

I wasn't surprised at her reply, not in the least bit. But I was really wishing her answer would've been different. I was happy though, because she didn't say that she didn't want to be with me, she merely said she needed time. I could accept that. For now. I guess.

I stayed silent for a while. I didn't quite know what to say. Brooke decided to break the awkward silence then.

"I just... I just got out of a relationship and I'm not ready. I'm not ready to get over the death of my boyfriend and be with the person that killed him and my family." She was still mad. I don't get women sometimes. They just never forget and forgive. They can hold a grudge against you for something you did 10 years ago! I didn't tell her that, obviously. I winced when she said that.

"Friends, for now?" I asked. It was the only way. I'd get to be near her, even if its not a relationship thing.

She seemed to be considering what I said. After what seemed like eternity, she finally nodded. My face broke into a huge grin, and I could hear my wolf howling in joy,

"Wanna go out for ice cream?" I didn't know where that came from, but I liked it, and so did my wolf.

She hesitated. "Just friends." I confirmed.

"Okay." She said, a little reluctantly.

...

"Chocolate and...." I waited for Brooke to take her order.

"Cookies and Cream please." The waitress person (I don't really know what to call her) scooped our ice creams into cones and passed it to us.

I paid and we went to sit down to eat our ice cream.

It was awkward. Neither of us were talking.

"Sooo.....How's life?" I said, attempting to make small talk. I mentally scolded myself. How's life? That's the best you can come up with?

"It's okay, I guess. Just a little boring, that's all." She admitted.

"I can take you out tomorrow, if you want. I can bring you to some places so you could go there with Taylor and you wouldn't be so bored." Only after I said that, I realized how much it sounded like I was taking her out on a date. So I had to add, "As friends." at the end of my sentence.

I hated those two words with a passion. I always had to say it because it's the only way to get Brooke to hang out with me.

She smiled a little but said nothing. I guess I'll take that as a 'yes'.

Then everything went back to being quiet and awkward.

Brooke"s POV

It was awkward. I don't know how else to describe it. I finished the last bit of my ice cream and waited for Jace to finish his.

I took the time to take in my surroundings. I didn't know where I was, but I liked this ice cream place. Everything was designed to make it look like we were in the 60s. I found it really cute.

I also noticed this guy sitting a couple of tables away from me and Jace, staring at me with lust. He was a human, no doubt. I could tell from his scent.

I didn't like the way he was looking at me, and I self-consciously wrapped my arms around my shoulders to hide my body from him. I knew I shouldn't have worn a tank top with short shorts today. Jace seemed to notice that I was feeling uncomfortable because he looked up from his ice cream and asked me what was wrong.

I motioned towards that creepy dude. Jace's eyes turned from his usual colour, to hazel. His wolf was surfacing, and he was ticked off. Not good.

Jace rose from his seat, ignoring my attempts to stop him. Grabbing the guy by the collar, he yelled, "STOP LOOKING AT MY MA-GIRLFRIEND!" He was going to say mate, but then he must've realized there were humans in the room.

"I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT." The guy yelled back. Bad move. Well, he's a human. He didn't know better. He didn't know that Jace was a werewolf, nor did he know Jace was an alpha. He did not know exactly how strong Jace really was.

Jace flung the man across the room, crashing tables, chairs, everything that got in the way. Somebody could've stopped him, but nobody dared. Humans, and werewolves alike, were both scared of Jace's intimidating features.

It didn't do the guy much damage though. Jace was holding back. It was hard for him, in fact it was hard for ANY wolf to hold back, but humans would definitely suspect something if he used his super strength.

Jace snarled and threw a punch into the guy's face. Over and over again.

All this time, I stood, watching Jace hit the man, with absolute horror displayed on my face.

The metallic smell of blood entered my nose and I watched as blood flowed out of the guy's open wounds and I nearly puked at the sight. I never did well with blood. Then the guy did something he should have never done.

He stood up, nearly falling over in the process, and clenching his fist, he hit Jace. It might not have affected Jace physically, however it did mentally. Hitting an Alpha was showing disrespect and on top of that, he hit an Alpha in public. Alpha werewolves were known for their strength and power. They had their reputations to keep up. Hitting an Alpha in public would embarrass them. All these things fueled Jace's wolf and soon, it was evident he was about to shift any minute. In a room. Full of humans.

Somehow, I had to find a way to calm him down, before he really shifts, and I to think of an idea fast. I could already see the hair of his wolf sprouting at the back of his neck.

Go to him. Touch him. You will calm him down.

I recognized the voice of my wolf immediately. As apprehensive as I was about doing so, I knew I had to try. So I did.

I walked up to Jace, doing my best to ignore the blood that covered the area. I slipped my small hand into his big one. Sparks exploded from my touch. He noticed my presence and looked down at me. "Let's go Jace. He isn't worth our time." I tried persuading him.

He didn't move.

"Please?" I tried once more. He sighed. Giving the guy one last punch, he finally allowed me to lead him out of the ice cream parlor. I walked towards the exit, trying my best to ignore all the stares we were getting.

--------------------

I've been getting more votes and comments recently. You guys are really sweet. Like, really really reaaalllllyyy sweet. Thanks so much guys :')

I know this isn't my best chapter...

But please

Fan

Comment

VOTE (Pretty pretty please?)

Thank youuuu

New cover! Hate it? Love it? Comment below!

~Claudia

P.S. Song at the side - Say You're Just A Friend by Austin Mahone :) It seems fits this chapter...