Chapter 21 - Panama

Brooke's POV

It had to be a miracle, though Jace seemed to think otherwise. Somehow, I had made an immense recovery, which could not have even been possible with my werewolf healing. My physical health had certainly taken a turn for the better, for I barely had to use to wheelchair to move around anymore. I could now move about without much assistance. I was glad for this, as I found my injuries to be a nuisance. The doctors at the pack house had been baffled at my strange recovery, and as I said before, it had to be a miracle.

Jace did not think so though. He concluded that the Moon Goddess must have healed me, because she wanted to me to hurry complete the little mission she assigned me. Jace took this as a bad sign. He claimed that since the Moon Goddess wanted me to hurry up with this, it was probably a very major issue, and the war, would most likely happen soon. Really soon.

I walked over to my closet. Wracking my brains, I looked through each rack, hoping to find the perfect dress for the meeting. If this was an ordinary meeting, I surely would not be stressing too much on what to wear. But today was different. Just this morning, Jace had informed me of what he was planning to do during the meeting. He wanted to introduce me to the pack.

True, there were quite a handful of werewolves in the pack whom I have already met before. However, there were still many who did not, and Jace insisted on introducing me to his pack as Luna. I had no choice but to agree, seeing as he had already planned it out. This does not necessarily mean that I was not against the idea, because I most definitely am. It only meant that I only agreed because I had no choice but to do so.

I continued doing the same routine I was doing earlier – check, evaluate, toss. I glanced at the next dress. No, it was too formal. Toss.

The next dress was a cute pink number. It was not really suitable for this occasion though. With a sigh, I threw it carelessly on the ground.

I was fortunate that the next dress was the one I decided on wearing. The meeting started in ten minutes, and I did not want to waste time choosing an outfit. The dress was a pale green, with a strip of dark green at the bottom of the dress. It was paired along with a brown belt. It may appear simple, but it was however, perfect for that occasion. I slipped on the dress and hurried along to join Jace in the meeting room.

He smiled upon seeing me, and naturally, I smiled back. The tingling feeling that I felt down my spine when he smiled, did not go unnoticed by me. I walked over to him.

“Oh, by the way, we need to act like a couple to avoid any misunderstandings or confusion.” He said it so fast, and so soft that I wouldn’t be able to hear it, if I weren’t a werewolf. I was flabbergasted at his sentence, as well as annoyed. He looked at me pleadingly. Seeing as it was a bad idea, I was just about to say ‘no’. I never got the chance to, when the pack members started to arrive. They filled up the seats one by one.

Sighing, I shot Jace a look that said ‘we’ll talk about this later’. He snaked an arm around waist. I jumped a little from the contact. Over the months that I had known Jace, we had rarely experienced any physical contact with each other. I had tried to limit it, even. Hence, the sparks that shot through my skin, had shocked me. Firstly, because I was not used to it. Secondly, because I never expected it to be so intensified. Another probable reason might be that I did not expect him to really put up the facade of us as a couple.

It was not that I did not like it, however. In reality, I loved it. I loved the way his arm was around me. I loved how we were so close. I loved how we were going to act like a couple, except, I did not want it to be an act. I would never tell Jace that. With the war, and the other problems going on, I could not let the problems of my relationship with Jace get in the way.