Chapter 18 - Attacked

Brooke's POV

Reading the note had sent me into complete shock. Literally. For the next moment or two, I could not move. My body felt numb, as if somebody had given me anesthesia.

When I recovered from my moment of shock, I examined the note, hoping to find clues as to who had sent the note. The words were typed out on a computer, and printed out, masking the person's handwriting. I could not tell who wrote it, unfortunately.

But I did find a seal, in the shape of a wolf's paw, and somehow I knew this was an important part of this case.

Jace had gone into full alpha mode, and summoned his best trackers to try to sniff out the scent of the person who sent the note. I begged Jace to let me follow, as I was curious by nature. He was adamant about me not going, obviously worried for my safety.

I persisted, insisting that I would be fine, and even pulled my puppy dog eyes on him. Eventually, after much pleading, he did allow me, on the condition that I stay near his trackers at all times, and forbade me to go even a metre away from them.

I nodded my head, agreeing to his condition. Though I knew I probably would not listen to him.

The trackers sniffed the note, trying to get a whiff of his scent. We shifted, and with our clothes in our mouths, headed out immediately, not wanting to waste any time. We followed the unfamiliar scent. We walked for a while. And soon, I had lost the scent and could not find it anymore. But the trackers still could sense his scent lingering in the forest. It was no wonder that they were Jace's best trackers.

I gave up on the scent completely, instead looking at the ground for any possible clues that the person may have left behind.

So caught up was I, in looking for clues, that I never realized the trackers were completely out of sight. I had lost them. I looked around, hoping to see them. But to no avail, they were gone.

I didn't know where I was, for I rarely went out to the forest. I had no idea where I was. I decided to go with my gut and go right. I knew, however, that I was probably not right.

I walked in the forest. I passed bushes and trees, which unfortunately still looked as unfamiliar as ever. I cursed under my breath. I regretted not coming out to the forest more often. I promised myself I would do just that in the future.

After five minutes, or at least it felt like five minutes to me, there was still no sign of the pack house or the trackers.

I quickly changed into my clothes, behind a tree, careful to check that nobody was watching. I sighed, and lay down under the tree. It was so silent, you could hear a pin drop. Then I heard the sound of the rustling of leaves. Someone was around here, I could tell. The side of my mouth quirked up into a smile, as I thought with pure joy and relief that it was the trackers.

I barked, trying to catch their attention. I sniffed again, and felt my blood run cold when I realized my mistake. This scent was no doubt not the trackers' scent. This one had a foul smell to it, and smelt somewhat like what a person would smell like after not bathing for a month. This one was the scent of a rogue. Every rogue had that stench. I didn't know why but they did. I felt so stupid. How could I make such a mistake?

I felt my heart beat faster. It started to beat so fast, that it sounded like a hum, instead of separate beats. I did the worst thing possible, I had alerted the rogue that I was here, thinking that they were the trackers. Now, he knew I was here. The rustling of leaves became louder. He was advancing towards me. Then I realized that this scent was very familiar to me. I took a deep breath, letting his scent fill my nose.

I gasped, shocked. This was the same wolf who sent the note. The one who wanted to kill me. I wanted to run, far away from him. But I was so shocked, that all I could do was stand there, like a statue.