Chapter 19 - The Vision

Brooke's POV

I don't know quite how to describe it. Flashes of something (I was not sure what it was) kept haunting me. It seemed to be a scene of a war. Blood, all over the ground, and injured people lay groaning in the pool of blood. Then the scene changed.

A lady, dressed fully in white. She had a radiant glow to her. She seemed vaguely familiar, and I instantly knew I had seen her somewhere before. With a pang, I had recognized her as the woman in this painting in the pack house. In other words, she was the moon goddess. She said something, so softly that I had to strain my eyes to hear what she had to say. And even then, I could only catch a word of what she was saying. "Prophecy" was the word.

I opened my mouth, prepared to ask her to repeat herself, but not before the scene changed again. I was whirled away into a little house, or so it appeared to be. I glanced around me, analyzing my surroundings. I had never been here before, nor have I seen this place before.

The entire place seemed so antique and old, as if it was designed in the fifteen hundreds. Then, a man walked into the room, drawing my attention to him. To me, he looked like what I would imagine Santa Claus to be like. With his white beard, he did indeed seem like the holiday mascot.

He said something too, like the moon goddess previously did. This time, however, I managed to catch what he said. In his low, raspy voice, he had whispered the words, “Hurry, Brooke.” At this point of time, I could feel my level of irritation rising higher and higher. Frankly this whole thing annoyed me. Who was showing me this, and why? I badly wanted to find out.

So many questions, were left unanswered, as the scene shifted one more time. This time it showed me Jace. Though he seemed to be much younger, maybe about ten years old. A man, of the splitting image of Jace, (his father, maybe?) was standing in front of Jace, who was huddled in the corner of the room. His eyes only held fear. I felt my eyebrows furrow in confusion. Was Jace scared of his father? This was definitely news to me.

That was it. Everything stopped. No more scenes appeared to me. It just stopped completely, and all that filled my vision was darkness. I blinked. I tried to at least, for it hurt my eyes to do so. I tried again, and this time, my eyes opened fully.

I winced at the bright light, but then blinked a couple more times to adjust to the brightness. I found myself on Jace’s bed. This was definitely not the first time I found myself in this situation. I cursed silently at myself. How weak I must seem now?

I had awoken to the sound of someone shouting. And judging by the authority and anger in the voice, it had to be, without doubt, Jace.

“I DON’T GIVE A SHIT FOR YOUR EXCUSES. I TOLD YOU NOT TO LET BROOKE OUT OF YOUR SIGHT! EXTRA PARTOL SHIFTS! BOTH OF YOU! NOW GO GET TO WORK!” Jace yelled at them. It was clear he was angry. The two trackers, that I presume he was shouting at, bowed their heads in submission. They were about to turn away, and leave the room. But I stopped them.

“It’s not their fault, Jace.” My voice coming out hoarse. I continued, “It was mine. I wasn’t paying attention. I’m sorry.”

He seemed to be in complete and utter shock. I guess he wasn’t expecting me to gain conscious, at that point of time. He stared at me, wide eyed. He dashed over towards me. He felt my forehead, checking for any sign of a fever. He yelled at the trackers, to get me some water. The earlier incident of him yelling at them, had been forgotten amidst all the drama.

One of them, ran out, probably to get me some water. I could tell he was scared, and probably did not want to infuriate Jace any further. The other one, murmured something about finding the doctor, and with that, he left. I looked at Jace. My green eyes meeting his brown ones.