Chapter 24 - Grief

Brooke's POV

One look at Taylor, and i already knew something was very wrong. Her eyes were red and puffy, and her cheeks were streaked with tears. She had been crying, obviously. Even a two year old would have known that.

I was her best friend, and naturally, I wanted to know what was wrong and help her. Yet, I couldn't help but feel the weight on my shoulders, of the stress of the many things I had to. I was exhausted, and just came back from what possibly was the worst conference of my life, with the rudest man i have ever met. I had made no progress with the mission I had been assigned to. Now, to top it off, my best friend appeared on my doorstep, crying, and I knew she was going to need my undivided attention for a while. My life wasn't exactly going as planned at this point of time.

Nevertheless, Taylor was my best friend, and something inside of me pushed myself forward to pull her inside the house. I pulled Taylor into a hug, squeezing her until I was sure she was covered in bruises. I was not denying it; I had missed my best friend loads, even though it had only been a day since I left to Panama.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. She only cried more, sobbing into my shirt. At that moment, all my previous thoughts had vanished from my mind, and the only thing that seemed to matter was Taylor crying. I hated seeing her like this - so broken and upset.

I led her to my room. "Jace, get out." I probably sounded rude, but I didn't care.

He frowned at me, obviously not liking the idea at all. I pointed to Taylor, who only smiled meekly at him. I'll tell you later, I mind linked him. He sighed, but gave in anyway. He left the room, just like I had wanted him to.

"Taylor, will you tell me what's wrong?" I asked her, holding her hand.

"Its Cayden." She said, sobbing loudly. "He... He's being such a jerk. He won't let me out of the room, because of the rogues. I know he's trying to protect me but I can't stand it. Then this morning I got so sick of it that I yelled at him and he got mad. He almost hit me, Brooke." She sobbed harder. "He almost hit me."

"HE WHAT?" I shook with anger. How could he? He is her mate. The one person that was supposed to be her other half and love her to pieces.

I will kill him. I will kill him for what he did to my best friend.

"Don't." Taylor said to me.

"Don't what?"

"I know what you want to do to him. I can see it in your face. But even if he nearly hit me, I still love him Brooke; hurting him, would hurt me." She said, another tear rolling down her cheek.

I slumped into the couch in the room. "Fine, but you're not going back just yet. You'll stay with us until it's time for us to go back."

It didn't take much to convince her. She was already nodding her head.

"You'll sleep with me tonight.  I'll talk to Jace and explain to him why I kicked him out of our room." I said, laughing a little.

I walked out of the room and found Jace watching some football show on television. Sensing my presence, he turned his head around. "Jace, Taylor's going to stay with me tonight. Could you please ask the Alpha to find you another room today?" I pulled my puppy dog face on him. It always worked.

"Why? What's going on?" Jace asked, obviously puzzled.

"Um... Cayden almost hit her." I said, my temper rising.

"What? That doesn't sound like Cayden at all." He frowned.

"Yeah well, sometimes people aren't what you expect them to be like." I replied, my eyes never leaving his.

--------------------

A/N:

hello my lovely readers :)

firstly, you guys were amazing and so supportive on the last update. I love you guys so much for that. and like I promised, if I get a good response, I will continue with this book. I guess four comments would be counted as good, so, with effect from today, I will continue this book again.

second, okay I know I just promised you guys to continue this book, and don't hate me for saying this, but my exams are in two weeks and I need to do well for it because there's this taylor swift concert I really want to go to, and I happen to need my parents permission. this means that I cannot update so soon. I will definitely try my best to update though, hopefully once a week.

third, im so sorry for this incredibly short chapter, I just really wanted to get this out to you. the next one will be longer hopefully.

fourth, thank you all so much for 450 votes! it means so much to me honestly :)) I love you guys so so so so much and don't you ever forget that.

fifth, don't hate me for this either but I might stop writing the story anytime if I still don't get many reads per chapter. im sorry I just don't see any reason to continue something so horrible and bad, and something that no one even reads.

sixth (woah that's a lot I have to say), check out my other book - Wolfsbane. I just uploaded it :)

happy valentines day :)

~claudia

P.S. song on the side - I Want Crazy by Hunter Hayes. Its really good and well, it was stuck in my head all day.

P.P.S. 30 reads till the next update. I know I don't usually do this but I don't want to stop writing this book for the sake of some of you, but I don't want to continue this book with only 5 people reading it. I hope you understand.