Prologue

Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, Spencer Hastings, Emily Fields, and Alison DiLaurentis sit on the floor in Alison's room reading magazines.

"Anyone thirsty?" Alison asks, standing up.

All four girls nod.

"I think I can sneak some liquor," Alison says, smirking.

"You think you could?" Emily asks, nervously.

Alison shrugs. "Stuff is so easy when your parents are out, Em."

Emily nods, and doesn't say anything else.

Emily had always been the kind of girl to obey her parents, and for the most part; she could be considered perfect. Minus the fact that she's drank more in the past year with Alison than her parents had in their lifetime.

When Alison comes back from getting the alcohol, she's holding a bottle of wine in one hand, and five wine glasses under the opposite arm.

"Won't your parents find out?" Spencer asks, closing her magazines. "That's a brand new bottle. They'll see that it's been opened."

"God, Spence," Alison says. "If you want to be the goody-two-shoes of the group, go ahead. That doesn't stop any of us from drinking it."

Spencer sighs, and takes one of the wine glasses that Alison brought in.

"Good," Alison says. "As long as you can all hold it down afterwards."

They all laugh nervously.

When Alison has poured wine in everyone's glasses, she raises her glass.

Everyone else raises theirs, and they tap each other's glasses.

"Drink up," Alison says, before chugging what's in her glass."

"Whoa," Aria says. "Maybe you shouldn't drink so fast."

"It's a party, Aria." Alison says, with a disgusted look on her face. "We're not ten anymore. Get over yourself."

Aria swallows hard before chugging hers, just as Alison did.

Everyone does the same thing. They repeat that until the bottle is empty.

They drank too much to remember that night.

They did almost the exact same thing the night after. That was the night Alison was murdered.