Chapter Seventeen: Fire

The girls sit awkwardly at lunch the next day. No one knows what to say after what they found out last night.

Emily is confused about why Alison would do what she did. She felt someone choking her. Alison wouldn't do that. It had to have been someone else. But, why was Alison there in the first place?

"So, Aria," Emily says. "About Ali. She's not the one who choked me, is she?"

Aria shakes her head. "Listen, you guys. I got a hold of Ali. We're going to meet her somewhere tonight. We're going to talk to her. She'll explain everything. She can explain it better than I can."

"We're seeing Alison?" Hanna asks, shocked.

Aria nods, and pushes her tray of food away from her. "I'm not really hungry anymore."

The other three do the same thing. None of them can eat with something like this on their mind.

- - - -

The rest of the day goes by slower than ever. All any of them can think about is Alison. They haven't seen her in so long, and they thought she was dead. Now they'll actually get to talk to her.

When they're finally out of school, they meet up at the front doors, and get into Spencer's car.

"Ali said to meet her at this address," Aria says, showing Spencer a map of where they need to go.

Spencer nods, seeing the location, and starts driving.

"How long will this take?" Hanna asks. "I told my mom I'd be home in time for dinner."

Spencer shrugs. "You may have lied to your mom, then."

Hanna sighs. "Whatever. I just want to see Ali."

"20 minutes," Spencer says. "You'll see her in 20 minutes."

The thought makes all of them stop talking. They're all anxious to see her. Of course, Aria and Emily already have, but not in the best way. Emily wants an explanation. An explanation from Alison herself.

- - - -

When they're finally outside the building, they stand outside. All they've been wanting for the past 2 years is to see Ali. Now that it's finally happening, they're not sure what to think.

"Well?" Aria says, heading for the door. "Are you ready to see her?"

The others nod, and follow Aria to the door.

The door creeks open, and Aria is the first to walk in. "Alison?" She calls.

There's no response. They all walk in and try to find a lightswitch.

"I can't find one," Emily says.

"Neither can I," Hanna responds.

Then they hear footsteps. They're coming towards them.

They all freeze. They all just hope that it's Alison.

"Thank you guys," Ali's voice says. "For coming here."

"Alison?" Hanna says.

Then a light comes on. Alison is there, wearing a red coat. The same red coat that they've seen so many times before.

"Wait," Hanna says, looking at the coat. "I'm confused. What is this?"

"I have a lot to explain, but not much time." Alison says.

She starts walking in the opposite direction, and the four girls follow her.

"Why do you have limited time?" Spencer asks.