Chapter Eight: Exceeded Expectations

The five girls; Aria, Spencer, Hanna, Emily, and Mona sit at the table in the questioning room, waiting to have to explain what happened, and maybe even get caught for everything because of it.

A detective; one they'd never seen before walks into the room, and crosses his arms.

"Well," he says, looking at each of them one by one. "What brings you girls here?"

None of them say anything. They're all too busy holding in tears. This isn't the first time they've been caught by the police, and it's hard to stay calm in this kind of situation.

"Five girls at a police station with dirt all over them," he describes the situation that he sees.

Mona stands up. "This is my fault, detective, I--" she's cut off.

"You can explain when I ask you to," he says. "But right now, you all have one phone call. Who wants to go first?"

Hanna stands up. She wants to get her phone call overwith. She knows how mad her mom will be. She might as well just get it done.

The detective nods at her, and leads her to the phone where she'll make her call.

She dials the number and takes a deep breath before getting ready to talk.

"Hello?" Ashley; Hanna's mom says when she picks up.

"Mom," Hanna says, almost crying. "I promise this is just a misunderstanding, but I'm at the police station."

All five of the phone calls go along those lines. The parents don't necessarily believe what their daughters are saying, but they need to at least partially take their word for it.

Once all of their parents are there, they slowly walk to them, noticing the mad expressions on their faces.

They all want to say that it's just a misunderstanding, because it is, but their parents won't believe that. They've been caught too many times before doing things that were actually illegal.

When Aria is in the car with her mom, her mom is completely ignoring her presence.

"Mom," Aria tries to get her attention. "Please believe that this is just a misunderstanding. I can explain it all."

Her mom just turns up the volume on the radio to ignore Aria more.

Aria turns it back down. "Let me explain. You can't be mad at me for nothing."

"It's not nothing, Aria," she basicailly yells. "You were at the police station. It couldn't have been nothing."

"We weren't doing anything wrong. We just--"

"You can explain at home. But for now, just give me some peace and quiet. Please."

Aria rolls her eyes at the fact that her mom doesn't believe that it's really nothing and tries her best to ignore the fact that she knows the whole story. She knows even more than her mom, or anyone else for that matter will ever know.

- - - -

"So, Spencer," Spencer's mom says, not making eye contact as they drive home. "Would you mind telling me exactly what's going on here?"

"Please just know that this isn't something we did wrong. It's something someone else did wrong."

"You got in trouble for someone else's mistake?"

"Not exactly. But, someone hid our cellphones there. Were we just supposed to leave them there, buried in the dirt?"

"Someone really did that? Right above Alison's grave?"