Chapter Thirteen: A+

"Emily?" a voice says, very quietly. "Are you okay?"

It's still completely dark. Emily can't see a thing. She can barely keep her eyes open, so there really isn't much to see.

"You'll be okay." the voice adds.

Emily can't talk. Whoever was holding her wouldn't let her go. At least not until she was unconsious. Whoever it was really needed Emily not to see something. Or maybe they were even trying to kill her. Who knows?

Emily tries her best to see through the darkness. It's too dark. She can't make out one thing. There's no way of telling her where she is.

"Ali?" she manages to whisper. "I know you're here."

Her whispering turns into a cough. That person had their arm around her neck very tightly.

The only thing she's sure of is that the person was a guy. It couldn't have been a girl.

"This isn't real life, Em." the voice, which Emily is now positive is Ali's, says. "As much as you want this to be real, it isn't."

Emily doesn't want to talk. It hurts to talk. It even hurts to breathe. But she needs to get some answers before her time is up.

She takes a deep breath before saying "So, did that really happen?" She resists the urge to cough some more. She can't help it. "Did someone really just try to choke me to death?"

"Oh, Emily..." Alison continues. "Just wait until you wake up."

Emily shakes her head. "I'm awake. I know the difference between real life and dreams."

Alison's voice becomes more distant. "I know it's hard to believe that this isn't real. You want this to be real. It's not, though. Just go to sleep. You'll feel so much better."

"Admit that you're alive, and I will. Just please tell me the truth. No one else needs to know. We can--" she can't hold it in anymore. She starts coughing vigorously. She starts coughing so much that she's almost gasping for air. She finds herself losing consiousness again.

- - - -

"I'm really worried about Emily," Aria says, checking her phone for a response from her. "She hasn't responded. I need her to respond."

Spencer shrugs. "Call her, then."

Aria sighs, and dials Emily's home phone number. She doesn't expect her to pick up her cell.

"Hi, is Emily home?" she asks when Emily's mom picks up the phone.

"No, she isn't. I thought she would probably be with you."

Aria's heart stops. "I think I might know where she is," she lies.

"Let me know if you find out," Emily's mom responds. "I didn't know she wasn't with you."

Aria hangs up the phone and says to Spencer, "I knew it. We shouldn't have let her go alone."

Spencer looks worried now. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Her mom said she's not at home. She thought Em was still with us. We need to find her."

Spencer nods, and gets ready to leave once again. She's regretting what she said earlier. She said Emily would be fine. Now she knows she was wrong.

- - - -

They start getting ready to leave the house to look for her, but where do they even start?

Emily could be anywhere. She could be with anyone, too. They know absolutely nothing.

After a few minutes of thinking of where to look, Aria comes up with something.