Chapter Fourteen: Red Handed

Spencer and Aria are back at Spencer's. Emily went home to her mom, and told her that she was just getting coffee, which obviously, was a lie.

Spencer is trying not to bring up what just happened. After what Emily said, she's not quite sure she even wants to know.

Aria is hiding something, though. She's curious, but is trying to keep it to herself.

"So, what happened back there?" Aria surprisingly asks.

Spencer shrugs. "I was going to ask you the same thing. What the hell was going on over there? Down by those trees?"

Aria swallows hard.

"First Emily comes out of there wearing a red coat, then you. What was that about?"

Aria shrugs. "Nothing. Really, Spence."

Spencer shakes her head. "No. Something was happening, and I need you to tell me what. Emily explained a bit to me, but then she thought she'd said too much."

"What did she tell you?" Aria asks in shock.

"She was stuttering. There was a lot of that, but I couldn't quite make out what she was saying. Can you please explain?"

"Look. Nothing major. Nothing important."

"It was still something." Spencer crosses her arms. "If you won't tell me, you know I'll find out anyway. Oh, and until you tell me, I can't trust you."

"What?" Aria is in shock. "Why won't you be able to trust me?"

"Because you say you can tell me anything, but obviously, you can't, Aria."

"Please, Spence," Aria is begging. "Don't say that."

"Tell me what was going on," Spencer says, sternly.

"I can't," Aria replies. "She told me not to tell anyone. I can't tell you, or anyone else."

"Why can Emily know, but I can't?"

"It was A," Aria explains. "Emily was alone, so A got ahold of her."

"So A was involved? You saw A in those trees?"

Aria's eyes go wide. She realizes she's said too much.

Spencer looks at her, realizing this.

"I have to go," Aria says, getting her stuff together.

"Aria," Spencer says, "Do you know who A is?"

She wants to say yes, because that's the truth. She wants to say no, so it doesn't seem like she's been lying this whole time, even though she has. All she says is "Sorry, Spencer." before leaving.

The way she says it, and the look on her face make Spencer 99% sure that Aria knows who A is. She just needs to get her to confess.

- - - -

On Monday, at school, Aria is trying to avoid the other girls. Especially Spencer.

She doesn't want to talk to Spencer. Not now. Not yet. She wants to tell her, and Hanna, too, but she just can't.

She goes to her locker, and tries to go as quickly as possible, so she has more of a chance of steering clear of the others.

After three failed attempts to open her locker, she decides to slow down. There hasn't been any sign of the other three. She shouldn't be so worried.

After two more failed attempts, even going slowly, she gives up. Something is going on. Something isn't right.

She looks around, unsure what she's looking for. Someone did something. Spencer? Emily? Or maybe the same person as usual. A?