♛ 8 ♛

The library was the quietest place in the entire palace. Books were spread open on the floor and stacked up on the wooden tables. Although we received new deliveries every month, the books look like they have been used and beaten up daily. Even the newer ones. This haven isn't only for reading, it's also for communicating with your conscience and telling them that interfering with Aiden anymore will be bad. The library is where I can think, clean, and read at the same time. I want to thank God for this incredible creation on Earth.

I walked towards the large table that took up half of the library space. Surprisingly it was clean, except for an open book neatly placed on top of the table. I swung the dusting rag on my shoulder and slowly walked towards the book. There was a folded note resting between pages 239 and 240. I looked around my surroundings and picked up the note. I opened the folded paper revealing a cursive handwriting that said -

Serve me dinner 7:30 sharp!

A

I scoffed and shoved the note in my pocket. I turned around on my heels and walked towards the exit of the library. As far as I'm concerned, they are about a hundred servers in this palace, and yet he demands me. I'll never perform a single chore that involves him or his mother.

'Serve me dinner' my ass.

---

I stood outside Aiden's bedroom door, holding a silver tray with a bowl of chicken soup and some medicine. Apparently, our dearest future king felt sick yesterday and rested for the entire day. Although, I think he's lying. Queen Alexandra demanded every server to serve her beloved son with anything that he wants and needs. Head chef, Monsieur Florence, was stressed out in the kitchen due to the requests of different kinds of food. I bet his sweat is in this soup due to the busy day.

On the other side of the palace, I was having a wonderful day before Mary said, "Aiden demands that you serve him this!" Handing me the silver tray and sending me upstairs to his room. And here I am, standing in front of his lair.

I knocked three times before receiving a 'come in' from the inside. I quietly opened the door and closed it behind me, my eyes fixed on the floor. I heard him cough and sniffle a few times as I walked towards his table. I placed the tray, bowed my head, and quickly paced towards the door, almost grabbing the handle before-

"Wait!"

I closed my eyes, put on a fake smile, and turned around. The sight of him wasn't pleasant. He was wearing his blue silk pajamas, and the same scarf I gave to him yesterday, that was perfectly wrapped around his neck. A real, small smile replaced the fake one as I approached him. He pointed towards the food and gestured for me to come here. I sighed and did as he said.

"Chair."

I rolled my eyes and sat down on the chair that was beside his bed, probably the Queen sat here all day. He sat up with the support of the pillows behind him. I looked down at the food and then back up at him. He had his hands placed on his stomach, making him look like he was waiting for something.

"So are you going to feed me or not?" My jaw dropped to my floor. He smirked and partly opened his mouth. I looked away and grabbed the spoon with my shaky hands. He laughed but then started to cough, which made me laugh a bit. I dipped the tip of the spoon into the soup and scooped it up. I blew the hot soup and brought it to his lips.

Those lips. The ones that were going to kiss me.

I dropped the spoon in his lap, causing it to stain. I quickly got up with the tray and placed it back on the table. I could hear Aiden struggling to get out of bed. I walked towards the door and opened it, but it was immediately closed with his hands. I looked down to the floor nervously, playing with my hands.

"Look at me."

"No."

He put his warm hand on my chin, forcing me to look up at him. Beads of sweat were rolling down his forehead, but he ignored it. His eyes were red and his face was pale. I gulped and removed his hand from my chin. He pushed back his blonde hair, but they fell back on his eyes again. He looked like a mess, a sick mess. I felt bad for leaving him yesterday, did he even get home safely?

"What are you thinking?" He asked, taking my hand. I shook my hand away and brought it to his forehead. He was burning up. I let out a small gasp, which made him tense. I walked towards the tray with the medication on it, and grabbed it. I opened the top carefully and shook two pills out of it. I handed him the pills and paced towards the glass of water on his bedside. He took down the pills in one go and handed me the glass.

"You need to rest," I said. He looked away in frustration and walked towards the bed. I tucked him in and gave him a sad smile as he gave me a frown in return. I swallowed back the guilt of leaving him unattended yesterday. I turned around to walk away but he grabbed my wrist, causing me to look back at him with surprise.

"Stay. Please." I gulped and then nodded as he gave me pleading eyes. I sat down on the chair beside him and smiled at him. He looked at me and gave me a small smile and closed his eyes. The only sound I could hear in the room was the ticking clock, Aiden breathing softly, and my breathing too. His tense face shifted into a relaxed one as his stomach went up and down. Watching him sleep made me yawn, causing my body to get drowsy. I brought my legs up on the chair and positioned myself in a comfortable posture.

And just like that, darkness took over me too.

---

Aiden's POV

My eyes slowly opened then closed, but then finally opened at the sight of the most beautiful person. I smiled at her little snores. I slowly lifted my head up and looked around the dark room. I looked back at Iris and rested my head back. Her legs were brought up to her chest as her head rested amongst the inner side of the chair. She was slightly shivering, causing me to quickly get out of bed and place a blanket over her frail body.

I was feeling better. Much better. Even better with Iris here. I don't know what came over me last night inside the Ferris wheel. I paid the operator extra just to stop the ride at the right time, which he did. I pretended to fall asleep, listening to her panic. Then we talked, and then I leaned in because there was a tiny bug on her cheek. I'm sure that Iris got the wrong idea, that's why she has been avoiding me since yesterday.

But, I like her.

I don't know what drives me into loving and protecting her. She's the first woman that I have actually cared for. I want her to be mine, and I don't care who I have to fight to get her. Even if it means not becoming a king. Of course I will upset a few people, like my mother for example, but I will do whatever it takes to stay beside Iris's side.

"Mom... please...mom." I bent down and examined Iris's face. She looked scared and frightened. She shifted around in her seat, her eyes fluttering. Is she having a nightmare? Shit.

I moved her over a bit to the side and sat down next to her. I put my arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to my chest. Her breathing calmed down as her head rested amongst my chest. I put the side of my head on hers and smiled. I felt her arms wrap around my body, catching me by surprise. I kissed the top of her head and rubbed my hand against her back, telling her that 'I'm here'.

"I'll always be here."

---

ahhhhhhhh! So cute little moment at the end. Btw we reached 700+ reads whattttt!!! Oh and does anybody watch 'the 100' oh my god?? also look at the cuties Mary-Jane & Jonathan up there :)

Anyways COMMENT/ VOTE/ SHARE and I'll see u in the next chapter