♛ 27 ♛

The gates looked even worse up close. The metal was twisted in a way to depict the wings of a crow. Behind them, in rows and rows stood guards on each side with blank faces. As if they were forced to protect him. I pursed my lips nervously and tapped my feet impatiently. A few other girls were standing next to me, waiting to go in.

"I heard he's so cute!"

"No way! Chelsea, I thought he was fifty?"

"Heidi you can't be that stupid he's like twenty-two or something."

He's Aiden's age.

I didn't realize I was staring at the girls until they gave me offended faces and turned away daydreaming about the king. Right as I was about to roll my eyes a few boys, around my age, walked up in a group. The girls started to hyperventilate, in a right way, and fanned themselves. I turned only my head around and observed the group of boys. The one in the middle, who seemed like the leader of the other two boys, winked at Chelsea. She squealed at her friend and jumped up and down.

I scoffed and looked behind him. A boy with glasses with a book under his arm padded with his eyes glued to the gates. The boy next to him reminded me of Aiden. His eyes were low and dark, and all he wore was black. He walked with his hands in his pockets rolling his eyes at the girls.

Turning my body back to the gates, I felt a presence or three besides me. The boy in the middle shifted his head forward so he could glance at me. I sighed exasperatedly and followed his eyes as they scanned me up and down.

"I'm Lee," he said sticking his hand out. I gave him a quick fake smile and crossed my arms because his stare was making me uncomfortable. He looked taken back and pointed to his friends introducing them. "That's Miles, he reads too much. And that's Drew, he isn't much of a talker." He raised a brow expecting a reaction.

"Rose. And I'm married."

Everyone around me heard and gave me full eyes. Expect Drew, he just shifted his eyes towards my fingers searching for a ring.

"Married? How old are you? Is that legal? I can help you, I am an aspiring lawyer!" Miles said innocently which made me chuckle.

"That's none of your business."

"Right." He pushed his glasses up from the bridge of his nose. I felt bad because he looked hurt. I bit my lip and leaned my head back and gave him sorry eyes.

"I'm twenty, and it's legal. I hope you become a great lawyer," I said quietly. He gave a shy smile and looked down to the ground. I came to a realization and turned my back to the gates, so I was staring at everyone. "Matter of fact, how old are any of you?" I looked around at upset faces. Faces that wish they were rather having fun than work for the king.

"Younger," Heidi spoke as she nervously played with her hands.

"Except Drew, he's twenty as well."

I eyed Drew who just looked at the ground in anger and embarrassment. I felt terrible for them. For all of us. But mostly them. I grew up in Alexandria as a maid but yet lived a luxurious life. They grew up on this island probably as workers, but couldn't even come close to a proper life.

Right as I was about to say something, the gates behind me made a loud cranking noise. I turned around and took in a deep breath, standing back in the position right between Miles and Lee. All of us were in a row with fear in our eyes. I closed my eyes and saw flashes of Aiden smiling, laughing, being angry, walking, kissing me. I opened my eyes right away and swallowed, excepting the harsh reality.

"You coming?" Miles asked as everyone wandered in. I staggered out of my thoughts, my eyes bewildered making Miles concerned. I slightly nodded and followed the rest of them. Unlike Alexandria's beautiful yard, this one had dead grass and trees with no leaves but just horrendous branches. On top of the palace, which was much smaller than the one I worked at, were crows circling and cawing away. The air was much colder and scary. The interior from the outside was black carved walls with different designs. The towers peaked so high that it looked like a crown. They were many windows too, God knows, how many ever rooms. We stopped in front of two large doors which were the entrance to hell. I could tell everyone was nervous. Even Lee lost all his cool when he entered. Heidi was holding Chelsea's hand who just shook her off every time. I raised a brow at her rudeness.