♛ 28 ♛

That night I sat in my dormitory with my knees up to my chin and my arms wrapped around my legs wondering why the hell Fabio would do something like this. If you're wondering about the rooms we were assigned, then don't bother. I partnered up with Drew because Miles feels more comfortable with Lee.

Our dorms were much smaller than the ones at Alexandria. They were a floor below, practically in the cold, dark basement. When I first walked in with Drew, I was dumbfounded. A bunk bed was attached to the wall with a tiny ladder for the top one. Of course, Drew beat me to it and took the bed below, and I had to force myself to relish the one above it. There was a small closet that we had to share and a mirror. That's about it.

It was a disappointment. Like my life.

"Are you going to sleep?" I asked Drew who was laying in bed most likely awake. The sound of shifting from below answered my question. I rolled my eyes and tucked myself in and my dagstaff under my bed. Maybe I can fall asleep if I count back from a hundred. But the problem was, every time I tried closing my eyes, flashes of Aiden would run past me.

"My mother's dying."

I sat up and looked down from the railing of my side. Drew laid straight with his hands resting on his chest. He was looking up his eyes filled with questions.

"I'm sorry," I said looking away when he made eye contact. "I know the feeling."

Drew took in a big breath before saying, "The hospital has no cure for her illness. They don't even have a name for it."What happened to yours?"

"Probably cancer."

"But they have a cure for it?" he questioned. I shrugged my shoulders not knowing what happened to her and how Fabio didn't finish his story. He turned his body towards the wall. "I hope I get this job. It's the only way I can pay for her."

I didn't know what else to say, so I just rested back. It seems that everyone needs this job for a better reason. I can't take that privilege from Drew, or Miles, or Lee. There has to be another way to stay here.

----------—

"I hope you all slept well-"

"Derek I'm pretty sure you guys have bugs in bed-"

"Deal with it yourself."

I mentally rolled my eyes as Miles winced down because of Derek's response. I don't know why he had to be so rude about everything.

"Anyways, King Elior will be arriving momentarily. In the meantime, I will assign you the tasks." He ended with a sinister smile. My worried nerves kicked in as I continually bit my lip at what was about to be given.

"Miles, since you are bad at laundry-," he stepped towards him and put a paper on his chest, "- you will be in charge of it. All of it." He smirked at Miles breaking face as he read the paper with instructions, his hands shaking vigorously.

"Lee, you will be in charge of taking care of the stables."

"Drew, you are the head chef," Derek said watching Drew's face turn stern. He can't cook for shit, can he?

Derek then stepped in front of me like I was a huge burden being carried around. He took the last paper and handed it to me saying, "Since you are so good at everything, you will be in charge of organizing the entire grand library, fixing the King's office and his personal room, cleaning the big windows in the main hall, and organizing up the greenhouse garden. Is that clear?" He smiled with his eyes closed, the crinkles appearing on his old face. I let out an irritated sigh and snatched the paper from his hand making him jump. I read it over and over again the sides of it crinkling from my grip.