♛ 33 ♛

"And then she took her first steps and as a scary man who everyone, and I mean, everyone is scared of, melted at her smile," Kai told us the fiftieth story about Rayla and her childhood. 

"Listen, sir, we just want to know how far this army area is-"

"QUIET!"

"Yes, of course." Lee ducked his head down, his body quaking. I held back a snicker as we journeyed through the woods, almost nearing some sort of village. 

"That must be your people?" I asked as we halted in front of a path lit up with fire. Fancy. I dig it. 

"Listen, girl," he turned his head towards me. Man, he's tall. Six-four maybe. "These people- they are different. Some of them will try to scare you, but you need to stand your ground." He turned his head back towards Lee who's legs were quivering. "Understood?" 

"Y-Yes, sir." 

"Good." Kai took a deep breath, leading the way. "Let's go." 

It was safe to say that we were deep in the woods. Very, very deep. The sun that once shone was gone and the sound of crickets, snakes, and many other types of insects was noticeable. 

Lee accompanied close to me, his eyes scanning the fire and the woodlands at the same time. The hooded man walked behind all of us, keeping guard. 

We approached a large gate made of metal to prohibit any sort of danger. Kai gave some sort of gesture with his hand and the men, who raised their guns on first sight, lowered them and nodded to eachother. 

The gateway opened up, inclining to the side, letting us enter their haven. 

"Stick close," Kai said quietly. I reached my hand out to Lee who took it immediately. 

"Ew, why are you sweating so much?" I whispered to him. He gave me a frightened look. 

"Why do you think, princess?" He protested. I shook my head and continued to follow Kai. 

They were campsites scattered throughout the woods. It was like that one scene from Harry Potter, you know, the one where they go to see that Quidditch match. Before the camps burned down. 

As we walked down the path, the people living in the quarters slowly made their way out. 

I instantly looked away because-

They weren't humans. 

They were mutants-

And vampires-

 And demons-

 And fairies-

 And ghosts. 

"Told you they existed," Lee whispered so quietly near me. I held my breath and kept my eyes straight. Drilling them into Kai's back. Whispers surrounded the woods as we picked up the pace. 

We finally made it to the biggest camp, which I think belonged to Kai and the hooded man whose name we still didn't know. It was pretty simple, two beds and curtain covering the toilet area. 

I'm not using that. 

"Welcome, little ones." 

There was a table in the middle with maps and pencils as if they were sorting out some plan. 

"Those creatures- I mean people, sorry- are they okay with us coming?" I stumbled upon my own words. 

"They'll get used to it. None of them can lead so they look up to us humans." He gazed at the hooded man.