♛ 42 ♛

Aiden's POV

"So," my mother cleared her throat and intertwined her hands on the mahogany dining table. "Claire Stewarts, is it?"

"Yes, your highness." Claire looked down in shame while holding Anna in her arms, who was wrapped in the most beautiful silk cloth.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO ALEX?!" My mother stood up in rage, her chair flying back and her hands crashing hard on the table sending vibrations all the way to me. I rose up from my end of the table and jogged over to her.

"You're going to wake up the child!" I exclaimed seating her down again. She massaged her temples and took in deep breaths to relax. "Mother, please compose yourself."

"How can I do that when both my sons are going around with whoever they please?" Her voice raised word by word as she stared at me with those burning eyes.

"Your Highness, I didn't mean any harm. I just wanted Alex to know about the child," Claire said as she cradled an awaken Anna. "He's the only man I've ever been with."

"This is all your fault!" My mother pointed the finger at me and gave me those eyes again. The ones that can make a man fall to his knees and beg for forgiveness if he hasn't done anything wrong.

I clenched my jaw from arguing with her and shoved my hands in my pants pocket.

"Queen Alexandra, I really do love your son. I will leave the palace if that's what you want. But please... let me see Alex one last time," Claire begged. Her eyes filled with tears, and if we tell her the news of his disappearance, then she will start bawling.

"He doesn't want to see you," mother said with the most cynical tone possible and stood up slowly making her way towards Claire. I followed from behind in case she did something severe. "Pack your bags and leave."

"We can't just kick her out-"

"I don't care what you do! I want her out right this instant!" And with a scowl, she shoved the doors open and made her way upstairs.

"I'm an idiot," Claire whispered as a tear slid down her face. "I should've listened to Iris and stayed in that room."

"I have arranged an apartment for you and Anna," I say bending down, so we are face to face. "Your stuff is already there and all the necessities for the child. Don't worry, I know the queen seems like a villain, but she's just anxious about Alex. He hasn't shown up yet-"

"What do you mean?" She stopped crying and looked at me with all seriousness. Her face showing mixed emotions of happiness and total tragedy.

"Alex found out something about himself and, well... he ran from home. I have the palace guards looking for him all around the city." I watched as she gently caressed Anna's head.

"Will he b-be okay?" Claire sniffled.

"Of course. You know Alex. I mean you stalked him," I humoured her causing her to chuckle. After helping her stand up, I walked Claire out towards the car waiting for her.

"Thank you for everything Aiden-- can I call you Aiden?" she asked shyly.

"Of course. A friend of Iris is a friend of mine," I said putting my hand on her shoulder.

"I wish you the best of luck with the wedding. You're going to be the best king!" She gave me a smile and turned towards the open limo door before spinning around, "When you find Alex, tell him to meet me. And tell Iris I said goodbye and thank you." With one last smile, she sat in the car as the driver drove away.

I waved my hand until the car was out of sight. After that, I took in a deep breath and faced the palace doors to get to my room. Everything has been so rushed lately that I need a break from everything.