♛ 36 ♛

It had been a week since the battle in the woods and upholding my new reign. The palace seemed at peace, but there was still much to do.

"What are the new requests?" I asked my second in command, Miles.

"Uh, well there is the fixing of the hospital building and the new homes for the new guests we have," he read off the tablet.

"Put squad one on the hospital, and I'll help with the homes." I let him take off to his business and walked towards the kitchen doors. Pushing it open, I saw Drew standing alongside a few other vampires who decided it was a good idea for them to practice the art of food.

Drew took notice of my presence and absented himself from his group. "What brings you here, Queen?" He chuckled when I punched his arm playfully.

"You don't get to call me that. After all, we are best friends," I said shyly. "You know, you could've really benefited as my second hand. It takes Miles a decade to get the news in order." We both laughed as he looked back at the group and then down at the floor.

"I'd rather do something I love," he smirked. "Plus, you got that Dhalia chick and Lee training the army. We don't have to work together."

I put my hand on my heart dramatically and gasped. "You wouldn't want to work with me?!" I huffed to the side as he clicked his tongue and shook his head.

"It's not that. I feel like they need me, and in some way, I need them. Plus, now that my mother is here, she can teach some new tricks."

"Well, as long as you're happy," I said and placed my hand on his shoulder. We both gazed at eachother before one of the vampires called him back. I turned around to exit to meet my father.

"Iris!" I heard Drew call out my name. I spun around and crossed my arms. His face softened. "Thank you." He saluted me and jogged back to his group.

I sighed and left the gathering along with a light heart. A part of me was so happy that everything had settled for everyone.

But then Aiden and that girl flash before my eyes, and I realize that there's so much I have to pick up. And with the whole new responsibility of the Island and Elior still being alive, I have to be the strongest I can ever be.

"You talk a lot."

My instincts swiftly cause me to take out my dagger and point in the direction of -

"Fox. Hey- sorry about this," I apologized and retreated my dagger into my knife pocket that was belted around my waist. He chuckled and leaped down from the railing he was sitting on.

"I don't blame you. What's with the long face?" He asked walking alongside me down the narrow hall.

"I honestly don't know," I answered. "Everything seems so rushed." I feel him look at me, but there was nothing else to say.

"Well, if it helps. Before your father ruled, we had this ruthless king. Worse than that idiot in the dungeons. See, this king, his name was Donald, he destroyed everything. Massive wipeouts of the forest. My grandparents killed right in front of my eyes. These creatures you have saved today lost everyone during his time," he spoke quietly. I noticed him swallow down the guilt when we stopped in our tracks.

"That sounds awful. How did you deal with the struggle?" I asked.

"I have been alive for eighteen hundred years-"

"EIGHTEEN HUNDRED?!" I exclaimed out loud before covering my mouth and giggling. This was such abnormal behaviour.

"Yes. Which is technically eighteen years of age in the human world," he explained. "If you have been alive for that long, you start getting used to these things. The world is just one big ball of pain."