Prologue

Why am I even here? A question I have asked myself at least a million times over the past ten or so hours. A question that ran through my mind every time he yelled at me or called me stupid. I know I must deserve this for some reason. I've seen my mother deal with guys just like Kaleb for as long as I can remember. It's all I know. I've come to assume all guys are like this.

"Will you hurry the fuck up, I don't want to be late," Kaleb hissed through clenched teeth from where he walked in front of me. We walked through the busy airport, me trying to keep up with Kaleb while I tried to keep my bag from falling off my shoulder and to keep ahold of my suitcase as it rolled behind me, catching my heel every now and then because I was trying to walk to fast. Kaleb was practically running ahead of me, carrying his one carry on bag, since he shipped the rest of his stuff already. Unfortunately I didn't have much so I just paid to check my bag. Now I'm second guessing my decision to not ship my clothes as I struggled to keep up.

"What are we going to be late for? We already signed on the apartment," I asked, regretting it the second the words left my mouth. Kaleb spun around and stopped so quick I almost ran right into him. Luckily I didn't. I gulped loudly as he glared down at me, making me feel small.

"What?" He whispered harshly. He would have been yelling at me right now if we weren't in a crowded airport lobby. "You know I hate being late. I told the apartment manager we would be there at a certain time. So don't make us late!" He was fuming, his face getting red as he spoke, from anger and from trying to reign in his temper as to not cause a scene.

"Ok," I nodded, feeling myself shrink back a little. I glance around and see everyone is going about their business as usual, not paying any attention to the girl that's practically in pieces. I follow after him when he rushes off again, making sure to keep up. A driver was waiting for Kaleb, standing outside of a slick black sedan, holding a sign saying Johnson, Kalebs last name. Kaleb hands the driver his bags to put in the trunk before climbing inside. I wait and hand the driver my bags, sliding in behind Kaleb.

Kaleb and I have been together for almost a year and a half now. Things weren't always...hard. When we first started dating, he was the nicest guy. He took me out on dates, he bought me flowers for no reason, gave me gifts and remembered my birthday. Things are a little different now. He is stressed all the time, always busy with work and is hardly ever home. I know I need to make sure I do things a certain way so he has less to worry about. I need to make sure he is happy. Both for his sake and mine.

His work is the reason we are here right now, in beautiful England. His work relocated him to an office in Cheshire, a place called Holmes Chapel. When I looked it up it was beautiful and I am actually really excited to explore the small village. Kaleb is some bigwig for a major financing company.

It took me a lot of courage for me to just pack up and follow Kaleb to a different country, even though I didn't really have much of a family. I had my mother, who is too busy with her boyfriend to even realize I'm gone. It's been like that for the last twenty two years of my life. I have an older sister who thinks she is better than my mother and I and took off to Florida when she was eighteen, leaving me to fend for myself. I was twelve when she left, hardly a child but barely an adult. I was stuck watching my mother get beat and yelled at by different guys. She would leave one abusive relationship and jump right into another one. I never knew my father, but my sister told me that he was a piece of shit. Which I kind of figured, I mean, who would just up and leave their children, leaving them in the hands of a drunk? I also resented my sister for leaving me. I understand her need to leave, because that is exactly what I did when I turned eighteen, but I would never have left her alone if the situations were reversed.