2.

~April 30, 2016~

Finally it's the weekend. And grocery day. For some strange reason, I find grocery shopping to be soothing. The rhythm of walking up and down the aisles is relaxing. I need relaxing right now. Kaleb has been extra sweet lately. Most likely feeling bad for leaving bruises on my arms, which are just now starting to fade. I think him being so nice has me more on edge than when he's in a bad mood. I'm just waiting for him to snap and lose it.

Gemma and I planned on having lunch before I went grocery shopping so that's where I was heading now. We planned on meeting at this diner she swore had the best food in the world. The ride over was quick since it wasn't far from my apartment. I spot Gemma right away, only because there is a group of young girls around her. I make my way over and stand off to the side, waiting for Gemma to finish taking pictures with them.

"You would think I was the one famous," she scoffs as I sit down in the booth across from her, the young girls scurrying off to their tables.

"It's what happens when your brother is part of the biggest boy band in the world," I joke. Gemma sticks her tongue out at me before opening her menu. Gemma and I had gotten to know each other a little more over the last week. I was still going to the art class, just making sure I left my phone out so I could hear it if it went off. We went and got tea afterwards and spent an hour or so just talking. She wasn't judgmental about how much of life I haven't experienced. Like going to a concert, or skiing, or going to an aquarium. I know, who has never been to an aquarium? I've never been to a zoo either but that's no surprise when you had a mother who was more worried about herself than her kids.

"So how are you my lovely?" Gemma asks, looking up from her menu.

"I'm good. How are you doing?" I ask, scanning the menu.

"Oh just swell. Talked with my brother today and he should be out of hiding soon," she laughs and I just look at her, confused. "Oh, Harry went off the radar for a couple months when their break started. He wanted things to die down a little before he decided to go and enjoy his time off. Plus he needed 'me' time."

"I see. I'm sure he doesn't want to spend his whole break being bombarded by fans. How long is his break again?"

Gemma chuckles at my cluelessness, "a year or so. Most of which he better spend here with his family since we hardly get to see him!" She feigns annoyance and we both break out laughing. I needed this. I needed to laugh and just relax.

"So tell me about your family?" Gemma asks after we place our orders. I got whatever Gemma ordered since she swore it was the best thing on their menu.

"Not much to tell. I don't know my father. My mom is a drunk who never cared about me or my sister growing up. My sister bailed when she turned eighteen, leaving me to basically raise myself. I don't have any other family. At least that I know of." I pick at my napkin, leaving a tiny pile of paper on the table. I didn't talk much about my family, mostly because I was ashamed. I didn't have good memories to share with anyone, only stories about when my mother got beat so bad one night I had to call 911.

"I'm sorry Maci, that must have been terrible," her voice is soft as she spoke and her hand gentle as she rests it on top of mine, halting my assault on the paper napkin.

"Yeah, it definitely wasn't the greatest child hood, but I don't know any different so I can't compare." I frown, wondering if I would have turned out different if I was raised in a happier, normal family. "What about your family, tell me about them."

"Well my mums name is Anne, she is the best mom," she cringes after she speaks, looking at me apologetically. "Sorry!"

"Don't be. I know there are better moms out there than mine, hell every mother is better than mine. Keep going," I urge her. I want to hear about her childhood. I want to hear about what I could have had if things were different. So I ask her questions about it, wanting to know everything and she tells me, realizing I wast upset about hearing about it but actually happy to be. I learned about camping trips and trips to the beach and going to the zoo and to the parks. I learned about her mother and her husband Robin, who isn't Gemma and Harrys real father but is still a huge part of their lives. I got a better picture of who Gemma is and what made her who she is today. Made me curious about what her brother is like.