56.

The instant fear takes over me, I become frozen, unable to move. Unable to breath. The only part of me that seems to be able to keep moving is my heart, that is now beating uncontrollably in my chest.  All coherent thoughts fly out the window, along with every ounce of confidence I had, making me revert back to the scared, weak girl I was when I was with Kaleb. Which is no surprise, since he's standing right in front of me.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" Kalebs psychotic laugh fills the room and makes me cringe. He takes a step closer to me and I quickly find it in me to move, taking a step back.

"You know, I find it funny, that you ran right to someone who has no way of protecting you.  You can't honestly think some weak little boy band failure is going to protect you, that's just pathetic.  And these people here," he swings his arms out around him, "are just as pathetic, giving you a false sense of safety, making you think that you are part of their family. Guess what Maci?" His voice is like acid, burning its way inside me. I take a step back for every step he takes towards me, the distance still closing in due to his long strides.

"You will never belong in their family.  You belong with me.  You are mine, Maci. Do you understand?" He takes a large step forward and as I step back, my legs hit the side of the couch, keeping me from moving further away from this evil man in front of me.  "I said! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!?" He grabs my chin roughly in his hand and forces me to look at him, his hot breath fanning across my face, making me want to vomit. 

"What do you want?" I ask through clenched teeth, unable to move my mouth with his fingers digging into my jaw. Instead of answering me, he laughs. A laugh so full of evil it makes my stomach turn.

"Isn't it obvious Maci? I want you." He drops his hand but keeps me pinned back against the arm of the couch.

"Why? So you can hurt me and treat me like shit?" I spit out, rubbing my jaw. I don't know where this courage came from, but I'll take what I can get, not sure if any amount of courage is going to help me right now.

"If you didn't do things to piss me off, I wouldn't have to hurt you!" He throws his hands up in exasperation, taking a step back at the same time. My mind starts racing, trying to figure out a way to get out of this situation. I need to call the police. But my phone is upstairs in my room. If I want to make it up there I need to tread lightly, knowing one wrong move or word will set Kaleb off and that will be the end of it. 

"I'm sorry. Im not very smart when it comes to relationships," I tell him, trying to play along.

"Finally, we agree on something," he steps closer, his hand trailing lightly up my arm and I fight the urge to shutter out of disgust.  "Now tell me, what do you see in this failure of a man?" My blood boils at his insult to Harry and I want nothing but to wipe that fucking smirk off Kalebs face.  I clench my fists but try and keep my cool, needing to play along so I can make it out of this hopefully unharmed.

"I don't know, he's clearly not as great as you." This earns me a smile and a nod and I fight back an eye roll.  Kaleb has always been vain and full of himself, so I know playing this game and boosting his ego will help me.

"Finally seeing the truth, Maci. I always knew you weren't that stupid," he says softly, but his words still slicing through me like a knife. He reaches up as caresses my cheek. He starts leaning in and I know what he wants but I can't let it happen.

As his face inches closer to mine, his eyes beginning to close, I lift my knee up, connecting it right where I know will hurt him the most, putting as much effort and strength behind the blow as I could. Kaleb lets out a pained yell and as soon as he backs away and doubles over in pain, I make my escape, running up the stairs as fast as I could. Just as the top of the stairs comes into view, my right foot comes out from underneath me. Air whooshes past my ears as I fall to the stairs, my head connecting with the hard edge of the wooden step. I don't even have time to process what happened before I'm being pulled down the stairs by my feet. I wrap my arms around my head trying to protect it from hitting each step on the way down.