Chapter 1: New School

I never really thought we would move from my home, but here we are. We moved half way across the country away from our family and our friends. In any case, today is the first day of school for my older sister and I in Bangor, Maine.

As soon as I walk into this new school, the first words I see are on the banner that hangs over the doors to the front office, that read "Bengals hockey. Division 1, #1".You've got to be kidding me.

I head into the main office for my schedule. The lady at the front desk asks my name. Meredith Adams. She hands me my schedule as my sister comes in behind me. The lady hands Cara, my sister her schedule, and soon enough, Cara is out the door, probably heading to find her new hockey team.

I start down the maze of hallways to find my first class. Room N23: Creative Literature. I do like Creative Literature, it was my absolute favorite class back home, so it shouldn't be too bad. I walk through the door to see a very young teacher sitting at her desk in the corner of the room. She glances up at me, and a smile appears on her face. Maybe in her late 20's, this teacher looks a bit like she's stuck in the 1950's, with her beehive hairstyle and skirt down to her calves.

"You must be our new student. I'm Ms. VanSickle. Meredith, right?" I nod in reply. We shake hands quickly. "It's so good to have you". 

The bell rings shortly after we introduce ourselves and I take a seat. Students pile into the door. A few here and there. Until they arrive.

A crowd of boys rush into the room, all of them wearing purple and gold letterman jackets. Most of them don't take a second look at me, but there is one that takes a second look.

He passes me; I feel butterflies in my stomach. He stares at me until he sits. I stare back. His eyes feel like they tear into the side of my face. I turn back to face the front of the room.

"Okay class, we have a new student joining us today. Meredith Adams is the newest member of our class. Please give her a big Bangor welcome".

Slightly embarrassed, I look around at everyone and give them a smile and an awkward wave.

Ms. VanSickle starts attendance. "Reed"

"Here".

"Frankie".

"Here".

"There's Meredith", Mrs. VanSickle says with a smile. "Cole", My heart stops as he moves in his chair from the corner of the room.

"Here", I turn to look at him, answering my question if it was actually him. He sees me turn and smirks again. I turn back around and take a deep breath.  We don't fraternize with hockey boys. It's not a good idea. 

Class is finished, the bell rings, and I rush out as fast as I can. I find my locker down a few hallways to put the books Ms. VanSickle gave to me that I would be using for the rest of the semester. My locker has a small shelf at the top, so I put my charger and headphones on it, the most essential school supplies. I check my phone for texts. Just one, from Mom. Have a great day. Be polite. Typical Mom.

She isn't my biological mother, she is my Dad's first wife, who then became my Dad's third wife a few years after I was born. My real mother apparently got fed up with his bullshit and left before they got divorced. I haven't ever really met my mother. She left me when I was 6 months old, haven't seen her since. Kerry became my mother, she adopted me as her own child. So technically, Cara isn't my full sister, only half. But we both look exactly like dad, so we pass as full, though she is taller. And no one needs to know the difference anyway.

I sit at my locker for free period, since I have nowhere else to go. I hear someone come down the hallway, they stop. "Hey New Girl! You look lonely". I recognize that deep voice from class. Cole.

I look up quickly, shutting off the music on my phone. He starts towards me, still wearing that stupid smirk on his face.

"Well, I'm not", I say, hoping he gets the hint to leave me alone. The hockey boys at my old school only wanted one of two things, getting a girl into bed, or hoping to get the girl's best friend into bed. Sometimes both.

He sits next to me, just inches away, our backs against the lockers, our knees to our chests. We sit silent for a moment, the only thing I can hear footsteps from people down another hallway. No one else in sight.

"How is your day, New Girl?" he looks over at me.

"It's been fine. My sister has already started to ignore me and I haven't met anyone but you", I say.

"So, your sister must be popular, and you aren't. I can help you with that if you want", he smirks again.

"She's a hockey player. Made defense on first line on the girl's team", I say. "Cara Adams. Apparently one of the best players back in Michigan". We now live in Maine, a huge hockey state. The University of Maine Blackbears are the biggest thing they have in hockey here. Everybody worships them. I do, but just a tiny bit, but I like professional hockey better than college or high school. More action, and college teams just show off.

"Ah, yes, Cara. I knew you looked familiar. You look exactly like her. I met her briefly earlier in the gym. A year ahead of us right?", He asks. I nod, slowly. "Well, now you have me to talk to. So, what other problems can I fix for you today, New Girl?" He gets me to laugh a little.

My new friend.

~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the first of four books in the Counting On Hockey series. I can't wait for you to see what's in store for the upcoming 149 chapters (Sounds pretty awful, but when you think about it, that's divided between 4 books. It's not that bad)

Love you readers!

Madeleine

Edited: 2/24/22