Chapter 20: The Rookies

2 weeks since Cole's concussion, 2 1/2 weeks since I was attacked, 4 weeks since my first day at school here in Maine. 1 day before Cole, Noah, Matt, Hunter, Corey, Cara, my father, and I leave for Michigan. Mr. Doug Brown, head coach of Michigan State hockey, a friend of Dad, has invited the guys to play a scrimmage against University of Michigan. Apparently they have some high school players coming from North Carolina. They want to see how the high schoolers play with the team, to see the team chemistry.

Noah and Cole sit in my room as I pack my suitcase. It's gonna be really warm this weekend, which is surprising for Michigan in the early November. I pack my normal school clothes, because they seem okay for the weather. I pack my normal 'going on trip' things. Bathing suit, ice skates, hockey gear. If you are in a hockey playing family, you might understand, and considering this trip is solely to play hockey.

"So what is Michigan like, Princess?" Noah asks as I finish up my outfits for the next few days.

"Here", I say flatly. "Snowy and rainy. But activity wise, there is always something to do. A whole bunch of museums and different places to visit. They are very few things that you would do more than once before you do a new thing. I love Michigan, I miss it all the time".

~~~~~~~~~

The 8 of us all meet at my house. We called an airport bus to pick us up here. Dad and Cara are the most excited to be going back to Michigan. We fly into Detroit, where Dad used to play hockey and I grew up. He wants to meet the upcoming seasons players. Cara wants to meet all the young rookies, even though she is too young. I'm very surprised that the boys aren't more excited for it. I mean, they are excited, they're going to play on a college rink with college players.

We arrive at the airport in just under 20 minutes. Security isn't that packed, so we get through that quick. The guys, my sister, and I walk through the terminal quickly and find our gate. The terminal is pretty empty. The only flights leaving here within the next few hours is ours to Detroit, and one to New York's JFK. All of the other flights are arriving.

"Let's eat. I'm hungry", Noah says with a chuckle.

"You're always hungry", Cole and I say at the exact same time. We look at each other and fist bump.

Noah, Cole, and I decide to walk down to the food court at the opposite side of the terminal. Noah decides on 2 Big Macs and a large order of fries. Not to mention the chocolate milkshake he wants too. Cole and I just laugh at him as he orders.

We board the plane half an hour later. My seat is next to Cole and Noah. Cara is stuck between Matt and Corey, and Dad sits with Hunter. I take my homework out to start, since we will still be traveling back home on Monday, I have Global studies homework from Mrs. Franklin. Cole is deciding to do it on the way back home, where as I just want it done and out of the way. I put in headphones to block out the noise of the crying baby in the back of the plane. My phone plays Come Together, by the Beatles. I hum along as I finish the worksheet Mrs. Franklin gave us.

Another hour and a half, and we arrive in Detroit. Let's just say, the interior of this airport is amazing. It has sculptures and paintings on the walls. It kind of feels like a museum. Baggage claim is just down the hall, we grab our bags and head out for the rental car company garage. Dad has rented 2 cars. One for him, Cara and 2 of the guys. Then Dad lets me in the car with Noah, Cole and Corey. Then, Hunter and Matt would be with Cara and Dad. Dad gives Corey the set of directions to the Joe Louis Arena.

In a matter of minutes, we are at the arena. Dad shows us in the back door and we appear next to the locker room. Dad shows us down more hallways and then end in the doorway of the rink. I haven't been in the back way to the ice since I was little. Dad would take me to meet the players back when he still knew some of them. As time went on, he didn't know as many, so we just watched the game like normal fans, which was still extremely cool.

On the bench sits 35 hockey players, the head coach, and 3 assistant coaches. Head coach Jeff Blashill spots Dad, his face light up. Blashill stands from his place and greets dad in a hug. Dad introduces us to Mr. Blashill. Each one of the guys faces light up as they meet him.

"So, Randy here, first, got you guys a chance to meet the head coach of Michigan state, and play a scrimmage against MU. He also got you some time on the ice with us Red wings". I didn't even know about this. "So get your skates and lets get to it".

A few minutes later the guys come back with their hockey bags. They change in the guest locker room and the Red wings change in their own. I get my skates and hockey equipment, and so does Cara, and we change in the second guest locker room. Yes, I do change myself. I use to play hockey, until 7th grade, and I haven't grown since then so I still fit into my equipment. I stole Cole's traveling hockey jersey. It's a little big on me, but just for now, I think I'm okay. Cara is in her own Bengals jersey. We meet everyone back out on the bench, and all of the boys are shocked I am wearing hockey stuff. I just smile.

"What can I say, my dad was an NHL player. They taught me how to skate, and how to play hockey. I played hockey until I was in seventh grade". I might have lied to them about knowing how to skate. That first time on my first day of school was true, because I hadn't skated in about 3 years, but after that I remembered how to do it. "I also haven't grown since seventh grade, so my stuff still fits". I don't think the guys could be happier.

"Either of you have an extra hockey stick I could borrow? Don't you always have an extra hockey stick with you, Cole?" I ask.

"Which one do you want?" He holds out a CCM and and Easton.

"I always go with CCM", I say instantly with a smirk. I grab the stick from his hands and rush past him onto the ice. I skid to a stop in the middle of the ice. All the guys whistle and shout. I blush and push my helmet onto my head to hide my face.

"You guys scared to play against my sister and I? And don't be nice. I think we can take it" I laugh as Cara joins me on the ice.

She pulls her helmet on, takes a puck, and shoots it towards the goal. It misses, but she means to do it. Her trick. She found this way to shoot the puck just right of the net, hitting the boards, the puck runs around the boards to the edge of glass, and pushes itself right back exactly where she hit the puck from. I have no idea how she does it, and she doesn't either. But each guy, including the NHL players, are extremely impressed.

Dad and Mr. Blashill decide that me, Cara and the guys are on one team, and we play the rookies from the Red Wings. Dads takes his chance to ref. Hunter takes his place in the net, Cole takes center, Cara and I take wing, Noah and Matt take defense. Corey, Cara, and I will all switch out.

Dad drops the puck. Cole wins, and passes it to me.

Edited: 3/4/22