Chapter 32: So Much Pie

Dinner was soon over and it was time for the family to watch the annual football game. Today, the Patriots play the Chargers. The Andersons and the Bronsons couldn't be happier. As soon as every one was done eating, every single man at the table, including Cole was out of their seat, rushing to the living room. Cole grabs my hand and rushes me off into the living room with him. He sits in a larger chair that can sit both of us. He pulls me down next to him, wrapping one arm around my mid torso. I nuzzle into his chest as kick off starts.

End of the first quarter, Chargers lead by a field goal. Pats have possession. Brady retrieves the ball from his team mate and passes it down the field. Gronkowski grabs the ball from the air above him and runs as fast as can to the end zone. He pushes his opponent out of the way. Cole pulls up from his spot, he sits on the edge of the chair. Him, along with the rest of the family that has joined us, are screaming at the television. I watch with enjoyment as Gronk runs into the end zone. The family jumps up and cheers loudly. I cheer along with them.

Half time comes and the pats lead the game 14-10. The family is extremely happy with this outcome and most of them are still talking about it. Cole sits down after a moment and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.

A knock on the door comes just as the third quarter starts. Cole gets up and answers the door. A moment later, Noah and Cole walk back in. "Hello Princess", Noah spots me first. "Hello Andersons, Bronsons". They all wave.

"Noah, do you ever cut your hair?" Meme asks from the couch.

"It's nice to see you too, Meme", Noah smirks. Meme laughs slightly.

"Come on you two. Enough football for today", Cole says to Noah and I. I get up from my chair and follow the guys upstairs to Cole's room.

"I'm sorry Dude", Noah says as soon as we walk into Cole's doorway. I look at him puzzled.

"I know, that was torture". Cole says back, slumping onto the bed.

"Um, one question. What was torture?" I ask, looking to both the guys who lay on either side of the bed.

"Watching football. My entire family is obsessed with both hockey and football. I on the other hand see no use in football and I have to pretend for my family that I like it for two days a year. Thanksgiving, and New Years Day for college football". I nod my head, joining the guys, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Looking around Cole's room, I notice a neat pile of the teddy bears the team got Cole while he was in the hospital. "You keep them in a nice pile", I laugh, looking over at Cole.

"My mother wanted to keep them so I could remember my lovely time in the hell hole", Cole says back sarcastically.

We sit and chat for a while when I get a call from Cara. I excuse myself from Cole's room and walk into the hallway.

"Yes?" I say, answering the phone.

"Just wanted to see how everything was going with your future family". I roll my eyes.

"They are very nice, super funny, and Cole's cousins are adorable. Noah came over about an hour ago so we are sitting Cole's room so we don't have to watch football".

"Okay, good. Have fun. Tell the guys I say hi".

"Okay sis, talk to you later. Bye". I press the end button and walk back into Cole's room.

"So how was your first kiss, Princess?" Noah smirks at me. I'm guessing Cole just told him.

"Um, pretty good I guess. I mean I don't have anything else to compare it to so..." I say, sitting down next to Cole.

Cole grabs my hand in his. "Eww, you too really need to stop with the PDA, seriously", Noah says with a fake disgusted look on his face.

"Noah, we need to get you a girlfriend", I say with a big smile.

"I already have you, I'm good", he says back contently.

"Noah Travis Smith, I am flattered but you do realize, one, I am younger than you, and two, I have a boyfriend", I look at Cole with a smile before looking right back at Noah.

"Psh, I was your boyfriend first, remember. Your mom almost had a heart attack when we showed up at your front door your first day in school".

"That's true, but he asked me first, so I'm just gonna say no", I say. Noah rolls his eyes playfully. "I'm sorry". I pat his shoulder.

"Children, pie time", I hear Mrs. Anderson call from down the stairs.

"Noah, if anything happens to Cole and I, I promise you will be my rebound". I smile at him as we head down the stairs.

"Thank you Princess, I'm honored". We walk into the dining room once again. The large table seems to hold every single pie known to man. I stand there staring. Noah notices and waves his hand in front of my face. "Slow down, Princess, it's just pie". We laugh.

"We have a family tradition to make twenty fours different kinds of pies, two pies of each flavor", Cole whispers to me as I sit between him and Noah.

As we all sit, Mr. Anderson says, "Let's eat", and we and the pies are passed around the table. I take a piece of sour cherry first. It reminds me of home. There was a little cherry festival down in Ohio during the summer, we would rent a hotel room for the weekend and take a road trip to the festival. It was the one time in the summer at our family would be together for longer than 12 hours.

I finish my piece of pie, then go for my annual piece of pumpkin. Most family members go for more than 3 pieces, but I just decide on the 2, my second of lemon meringue. Cole takes a piece of Apple, Sour cherry, Pumpkin, and chocolate. Noah heads for the Boston cream, banana cream, apple, sweet potato, and pumpkin. I literally have no idea that someone could eat that much.

Noah leaves soon after that because he needs to attend his own family's dinner. Cole and I head down stairs to play with his cousins. Each of them gets a helmet and a stick and heads to the center. I'm chosen as the ref, so I drop the puck and sit on the couch so I can see everything. The girls team shoots into the net and after the puck bounces off the goalies shoulder, traveling into the net.

The game ends with the boys team winning 10-8. Cole had switched between teams for which ever needed help at that moment. He plays with these kids so well, I don't think I have ever seen anyone be with a group of 8 kids and not go insane at some point. 

The grandparents take the kids out to the movies to give the adults more child free time. Cole and I head up stairs to his room. He switches on his TV and turns on Breakfast Club. I lay on one side of his bed, and he lies on the other. Putting his arm around my shoulders.

A great movie with an amazing guy. I love Cole, nothing is going to change that.

Edited: 3/8/22