Chapter 11: Road Trip

Today is Friday. Last night I got attacked before the hockey game and today the bruise on my stomach looks even worse.

My alarm blares at 6:35. I hit it with my hand from under my warm covers and instantly hear talking and stomping down stairs. Then I hear it come up the stairs. My door bursts open and in walks a small group of boys. Noah, Cole, and Zac walk into my room.

"Holy crap Princess, why are you not awake yet? We need to get going if we want to make it on time". I have no idea what they are talking about, we have an hour and a half until the first bell.

I sit up and realize I'm only in a bra and underwear. They guys don't flinch as the sheets fall from my shoulders. I blush crimson and pull the sheets over me again.

"What are you guys talking about? We have an hour and a half until school starts. I I don't take that long to get ready", I laugh. "Now turn around so I can put clothes on". They do and I grab my sweatshirt and shorts off the floor.

They turn back around when I'm done. "We aren't going to school today. We are going on a weekend road trip. We are going to Vermont to see the leaves before they fall. It's supposedly really beautiful". Cole says. "Now pack a bag. We got you your own room at the hotel, and you need your bathing suit again". I drag myself out of bed and head to my closet.

"Whoa whoa whoa, I got this", Noah pushes me out of the way with his hip. He goes through my closet and finds outfits that he thinks look okay. A few are okay, but others I wouldn't wear. I move him back out the way to finish packing my bag.

"Boys, do my parents know about this? I mean if they knew I was skipping school today, they would kill me".

Noah cuts me off, "Princess, do you think we would be up here packing your bag if your parents didn't know? Yes, they do know we are going. They agreed. We leave this morning and come back Sunday night".

"Awesome", I smile happily. "Go downstairs. I need a shower. I will be down soon. And go rub it in Cara's face that I'm not going to school today". They leave me in my room.

I pick out a comfortable outfit for a drive and take a quick shower. I get dressed as I hear hollering from downstairs. I quickly run down to find my dad and the 3 boys sitting on the couch watching a hockey game. One of Dad's hockey games. The Red Wings and the Capitals playing game 7 in the Stanley cup finals in 2000. A year before I was born. Exactly a year. June 16th. They watch the clip of Dad scoring the game winning shot 2 seconds before the third period ended in the seventh game. The score was 3-3. Then Dad made that shot and the Red wings won the Stanley cup for the first time in 20 years.

"I thought I told you to stop showing people that video, Dad", I say sarcastically.

He gets up from the couch, "Nothing will ever stop me from watching that video", he kisses me on the forehead before heading into the kitchen for breakfast. The guys follow him, and I follow the guys.

Mom has laid out every single cereal box we have in the house, along with 2 jugs of milk. The guys all kindly take a bowl from Mom's hands and each take a different cereal. Cara comes in wearing her normal school attire. A skater skirt and a crop top that doesn't show her stomach because the skirt is pulled up so high on her waist. The top is long sleeves, she said 'because it's winter you need to wear warmer clothes'. My warmer clothes consisted of a winter coat, jeans, and boots.

Mom finally sits down at the table to join us. "So where are you and your girlfriends headed?" Mom asks Cole.

"Well, it just going to be Meredith joining us, but we're going to Vermont. Apparently, it's one of the best places to see the leaves right before they fall". Mom's face goes white. She doesn't want me going alone with 3 guys. I don't really blame her. Her youngest daughter alone for a weekend trip with 3 high school boys.

We finish up breakfast as Cara prepares an ice pack for me secretly behind her when our parents weren't looking. I explained what happened with my eye and my parents believed it. She leads me upstairs, saying I need to help her find something. We go into my room and shut the door to make sure no one comes in.

As she wraps the ice pack under the wrap on my stomach, a worried look forms on her face. "Are you sure you are going to be okay by yourself? You're traveling five hours from home to some secluded town in the Green Mountains". She seems more worried than I am.

"I will be fine. Don't worry. If I have any trouble with anything, I will call you. And the second I think something isn't going right, I will call you. I will call you when we get there, when we leave on Sunday. Everything will be alright", I reassure her and she gives me a hug. We head back down stairs.

Noah grabs the bag from my hands and walks outside to his car. I hug my family goodbye and get into the front seat of the car this time, instead of the back. Noah sits in the driver seat, Zac sits behind him and Cole sits behind me.

I'm leaving for a road trip. With boys.

Edited: 3/2/22