Chapter 28: Take Me Back

Cole isn't coming to school this week, or next week. I guess next week is Thanksgiving break though, so we only have two days worth of school. Cole can't leave the hospital until Saturday either.

"Hey, Lovely", I say walking into Cole's hospital room. I'm going to visit every morning before school and come right after if I can.

"Hey my darling, how was your night? I hope you got some sleep". I give Cole a quick kiss on the cheek before sitting down in my chair, putting my backpack on the back. "You look very pretty today. I like the heels. Make you looks bada$s"

"Oh, thanks. Yes, I actually slept last night. I went right home last night and Mom and I had a talk about the fact that I'm spending every waking minute here with you and that I shouldn't do that. I ignored her and went to bed. I just wanted to see you before Noah and I head off to school. I think Noah went to the gift shop, so don't be surprised if he gets you a teddy bear".

"What's up buddy? How's it going?" Sure enough, Noah comes into the room with his hand behind his back. He comes up next to me, handing Cole a purple bear with a pink bow. "I know you would want this".

"Noah, you are an ass". Cole says. All of us laugh. "Thanks bud. Here Meredith, have a teddy bear". Cole sarcastically hands me the bear.

"Meredith, we need to go. I don't want you to be late". Noah says, standing back up from his chair.

"What about you? Wouldn't you be late too?" I ask curiously.

"Nah. I don't care if I'm late, but I know you don't want to be". I roll my eyes and get up. "Your father would have my ass if he found out you were late for school on my watch". That was true.

"Text me if you need anything. Anything at all, just get me and Noah out of school". Cole laughs as I kiss his cheek softly.

"Okay love birds, geez. The PDA here is gross". Noah says, I roll my eyes again.

"Let's go Noah. I will see you after practice". My face goes white as I realize what I said.

Coach came in yesterday, pulling me out of Cole's hospital room. He told me that the officials probably won't let him play for the rest of the season, and maybe even the rest of high school, depending on if the doctor sees fit or not. We haven't told him yet, I mean about the rest of high school. We didn't even have to tell him that he wouldn't play the rest of the season, he did just have brain surgery.

"Meredith, it's okay. You can talk about hockey around me. I will be fine. Why wouldn't I be".  It takes all I have not to tell him that I know something he doesn't about his future playing hockey.

"Okay Babes. We have to go because I'm going to make sure Noah isn't late. Have a good day". Noah and I wave to Cole as we walk out into the hallway.

15 minutes later, we arrive in the school parking lot. Noah parks in his usual spot on the left of Matt's car, and the right of Logan's mothers old SUV that she gave to him. I grab my backpack from the back seat and open the car door.

Today is pretty warm, so I decided to go into Cara's closet for an outfit. I already had my red cut off shirt, but I took her black overall shorts and tights that are see through from about mid thigh up. I also stole Cara's heeled combat boots. Cole liked it this morning and that's all I really care about.

"Damn Mere, you dressing up for us because your boy isn't here? You don't want to make him too jealous that we get to see you like this", Matt says as he gets out of his own car a few feet away.

"No, but does your own girlfriend also known as my sister know you're low key hitting on me? Because I can go tell her" I smirk. Matt tenses a little. All the other guys just laugh.

"Come on guys, break it up", Cara laughs as she walks up behind Matt, wrapping her arms around his torso. "Mere, what did you do this time?" She asks sarcastically.

"I didn't do anything, it was your boyfriend. He was making fun of me because I'm wearing your clothes". I just saved Matt from the wrath of my sister.

"Oh, I was gonna say, I didn't realize you had the same pair of shorts as I did, but I guess I know why", Cara says back as the morning bell rings.

Brian, Sampson, Derek, Michael, and I walk into Creative Literature class. The other students, who are all already here, stare at me and the guys with sad eyes as we walk in. They all know what happened on Saturday night. But I don't think they know about the brain surgery, just the fact that Cole is in the hospital. I sit down with a blank face next to Derek, taking Cole's normal spot. Class goes on as usual.

Lunch time comes quick. Noah and Hunter meet me outside of Biology class and we join the rest of the team walking down the hall. I lead them into the cafeteria. As soon as we walk into the room, it goes mostly silent. I'm done with this. I have gotten the whole silence, sad eyes thing every class I walk into. I'm sick of it already.

"Okay". I say raising my voice so everybody can hear me. "You all know what happened. My boyfriend is in the hospital because a couple of jack wads decided that they didn't like him. He's in the hospital. He's my boyfriend, okay, I get it, I would be staring at the girl who's boyfriend is in the hospital with big sad eyes. But I'm sick of it, every time I walk into a room, you guys are staring at me like he died. Guess what, he didn't. He is sitting in a hospital bed right now, probably being bored out of his mind because he is still dizzy when he tries to stand. Stop staring at me, stop giving me the silent treatment as if to say you are sorry. I don't care". I storm back out of the cafeteria.

I hear people clap behind me. Was it that good? I was yelling at, like, 90% of my school. I hear someone come up from behind me. They grab my wrist and rush in front of me. Noah stands there, we look at each other contently.

"You aren't okay. Do you want to go back to him? I can take you, and we can tell everybody who didn't know about this whole thing that you were sick and went home, well except for your mother, but she wouldn't know anything". I nod my head slowly and he takes me into his arms. "Let's go".

Noah leads me to my locker for my backpack, then to Mrs. Franklin's room just to tell her I won't be in class this afternoon. We head out Noah's car and drive off to the hospital.

I can't stay away any longer.

Edited: 3/7/22