Chapter 16: Apologies

I get dressed after lunch, grab my crutches from the living room. Noah and I get in his car, driving off to school. On the way, we grab Noah's hockey bag from his house since he forgot it this morning. We walk through school. The bell rings and we stand at the end of the main hallway.

Students crowd the hallways. I stand still, making sure I don't trip over someone, or someone doesn't trip over me.

From down the hall I hear my name. "Meredith". I try to look for the voice, I can't find it until the crowd parts and there he stands.

It feels like a movie where the crowd separates and just watches. That is exactly what this is. I see Cole. He looks me up and down for a second before sprinting down the hall. I look at Noah for a split second before dropping my crutches, ignoring the pain in both my stomach and hip, and run towards Cole. He swoops me up in his arms and twirls me around.

"I missed not talking this weekend. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you he was my brother. I guess I was ashamed of it. I am ashamed of him, and I am sorry for letting him get to you. Mom and Dad are literally sending him to military school in New Hampshire". Cole says as he puts me down. The next bell rings and all of the other students run to their classes. The hallways are only the three of us. Noah still stands back where I left my crutches a moment ago.

"I'm sorry I lashed out at you on Friday. I could blame it on the drugs that I was on at that day, and that might have had a little something to do with that, but I was just overreacting. I totally understand why you didn't tell me. And not talking to either you or Noah this weekend felt like a bullet through my chest". I say with tears about to fall.

Noah walks up behind us and take both Cole and I in a hug, "No more drama or not talking to each other. We are together forever. No matter what".

Escaping from the hug, I say, "Wait, don't you have to be in class, Cole?"

"Hell no. It's free period for hockey players. We are supposed to be in the gym right now. Let's go", Cole puts his arm around my shoulder as I pick up my crutches to take pressure off my leg.

We step through the gymnasium doors and hear cheering and clapping. Coach stands in front of the teams looking towards the three of us. "Welcome back", they all say with a smile.

We all walk out out to the rink. The guys change in the locker room, and I make my way to the bench. I hear a group of girls come in the front door. I spot Cara at the front of them. She sees me and her and her group walk over to me.

"Hey sis, how's Mom doing?" she laughs sarcastically, to make her friends laugh. Total show off.

"She's fine Cara. I'm just here for practice with the guys. I needed to get out of the house. Your stuffed animals were starting to creep me out, just staring at me". I say, trying to embarrass her. Her friends laugh again and her face goes red. 

"At least I wasn't attacked for no reason", she spits out, her friends laughs disappear. My mouth drops open. I hear a door open from behind me.

Noah and Cole come up behind me.

"What did you just say to your sister?" Noah says with an annoyed tone. The group of girls all have a terrified look on their face. Cara's face goes white.

"I'm sorry", she chokes out. "I didn't mean it like that".

"Fine then. Leave. Before anything else you do hurts your little sister". With that, Cara and her group of hockey players leave.

"Thank you", I say quietly.

"I'm not that scary am I? I didn't realize", Noah says. He really isn't that scary. He didn't even yell. But he can be intimidating when he wants to. 

I watch the practice from the bench and soon enough, people start to show up for the game. The Wolverines show up about an hour before the game and all change. This time, I am staying close to Noah and Cole, I'm practically glued to their sides.

It's the start of the second period and the score is 1-0, Wolverines. Cole wasn't first line this game as punishment for punching his brother after I was attacked, so Kyle Williams took his place. Cole took center in second period and I could tell he was happy to be back on the ice without worrying about me. I can't get myself up the ladder into the officials booth, so I sit as close as I can to the guy's bench. I can't take my eyes off the ice. I haven't yet.

Noah and Cole skate down the ice together, Noah has possession. Cole and Colby guard Noah from attack. They bring it closer to the goalie. Suddenly, Noah passes the puck to Cole, who fakes a shot, passing it right back to Noah who shoots it over the goalies head, into the back of the net. Score is1-1. The second period ends.

We all meet in the locker room for cool down when Cara and her friends walk in. A few guys whistle, and most of the girls blush. "Mere, can I talk to you?" Noah stands up behind me. "Alone", Cara looks Noah in the eye. He slowly sits down again. I follow her outside the door. Her friends stand by her side.

"I thought you said alone", I say motioning to her posse. Then Cara motions them away too. They stand at the end of the hallway, just around the corner. "What?" I say harshly.

"Meredith. I'm sorry for what I said earlier. About the whole....attack thing. I was just mad that you said something about that one stuffed animal I got from grandma before she died. I completely overreacting and I should never have said that to you".

I walk back into the locker room without another word from either of us.

Edited: 3/4/22