Chapter 22: 3 Seconds Left

I guess the college students here knew about the game. They pile in through the main doors, Doug showing us to the back door where the players come in.

Cole and Noah, and the other guys head into the locker room. Cara, Dad and I find a really good spot behind the MU's net, so we can see when we score, at least for two periods.

"Dad, we will be right back. I want something from the concession stand. I need a word with Mere", Dad waves us off with a smile. Cara grabs my hand and leads me off. We re-enter the main lobby. She brings me to a stairwell, it's empty except the occasional group of college kids trying to find their seats.

"I'm dating Matt", my sister starts.

"For how long now?" I ask, kind of stunned.

"Since our second day of school, but I knew him for a little while before, I found him on Instagram. He asked me out. We agreed not to tell anyone because the guys didn't believe that they should be dating other hockey players. I have no idea why, but it is what it is. I didn't tell you because Matt thought you would go and tell Noah and Cole".

"I am extremely happy for you. I knew Matt was always kind of your type. When I met him I thought of you", I take Cara in a hug. "I wouldn't tell anyone if you didn't want me to. I mean you didn't tell Mom and Dad about Devon and the attack until I was in the hospital, and at that point, I understood".

Cara releases the hug. "Promise our boyfriends are going to make a goal together in this game".

"Wait, what? Who is my boyfriend? I don't have a boyfriend". My confused look just added to my question.

"Noah isn't your boyfriend? What? Why was he hanging all over you last night when we got here?". Cara looks even more confused than I do.

"He was trying to protect me from the college players eyeing me. I'm not dating anyone. And I don't like Noah like that".

"So you do like somebody", Cara nudges my shoulder. I smile.

"It may or may not be... Cole". Cara's mouth drops open. I try to get her off the subject. "Can we get your food and go back? I don't want to miss a thing". Cara walks over to the concession stand and buys a bottle of water.

As we walk back through the doors, Cara whispers to me. "Cole would make an awesome boyfriend". I smile again.

About 30 minutes later, the teams skate out onto the ice. For each team, the high schools are wearing the opposite color. Cole and the guys wear white with green lettering, while the college players have green jerseys with white lettering. Michigan high school players wear an awful yellow with the dark blue lettering, and the college players have the blue jerseys with yellow lettering. I'm guessing it isn't that obvious that I don't like University of Michigan. I've always been an Ohio State University fan.

I spot Cole and Noah in their white jerseys, each with their lucky numbers, 19 and 13. I see Cara tense in excitement as Matt comes out in his white jersey with the number 10 on the back. I look over to her as she blushes. We both laugh, and Dad thinks we are going crazy, which we very well might be.

The teams take a lap around the rink for the college kids to see their so called fresh meat. The guys take a half lap to come over to us, they slap the glass in front of us. The girls around us have taken one look at the boys and swooned. I notice Matt tracing a tiny heart on the glass. Cara picks up on it and blushes again. I travel down the few steps to reach the glass.

Cole motions me to a crack between glass pieces. Over the crowd he yells, "Make sure Cara knows that we all know about her and Matt. They're cute together". I laugh, giving him a thumbs up and walking back to my father and sister. The guys leave, back to the bench they skate. I tell Cara, and she almost bursts out in nervous laughter.

A referee comes out of the penalty box, the entire stadium starts to shake. People all across the arena scream and shout. I have never been to a game with such energy, even an NHL game. The announcer starts naming off the guys from each team, their coaches, and the refs.

The second period just started. We are tied right now against UM 2-2. None of the high school kids shot the goals, but Noah assisted one. Cara has gotten excited every time Matt goes near the the net. She tenses, and starts hitting my thigh with her fist. Doesn't hurt, but it's not exactly comfortable. Corey takes his first time on the ice as a defenseman, not playing all game, I don't think Brown is super impressed with Corey, but he is still an amazing player, I wouldn't be surprised if he is accepted with scholarships to colleges, maybe even the AHL.

30 seconds left in the third period. Cole takes his spot on center. The last period is dedicated to 95% high school players, both teams don't have enough high school players to meet the 5 on 5 requirement so the goalie and one of the wings on UM team are college students. Now, all of our guys, Corey is just being challenged to be a wing, and we need a college student to take the other wing.

The ref drops the puck, and Cole's opponent from North Carolina wins the face-off. Noah and Matt take it from the guy, and Cole takes him to the ice. Noah and Matt take the puck down the ice, it's a breakaway. Cole catches up, and Noah hangs back as Cole and Matt pass the puck to each other. We have 3 seconds before the end of the third period.

The whole crowd is screaming. Cara and I are holding each other for dear life. Matt passes the puck to Cole a final time. Cole shoots just passing over the goaltender's leg. The puck shoots into the back of the net. The horn blares, end of game, and goal.

Oh my god!

Cara and I grasp each others tightly as everyone around us shouts and applauds. We are jumping up and down in unison. They did it! This may not have been the most important game, but they played with college students, and Cole is only 16, this is a once in a life time thing.

The applause and screams continue for maybe another minute. Dad hasn't said or clapped much, he doesn't seem impressed on how either team played, but whatever. The teams head back to their locker rooms. Cara leads me off. We head down the stairs and into the tunnels. She leads me to the hallway where the locker rooms are. We wait just around the corner so we can surprise Matt, Noah, and Cole when they come out.

It's another at least 25 minutes before we hear the door open. Guys hollering and yelling fill the newly open space. Cara and I standing on either corner of the hallway, move into the entry of the hallway. Out the door walks our 2 favorite guys, Matt and Cole.

"There you guys are!" Matt yells as we jump into their arms. Cara jumps to Matt, giving him a long kiss, and I jump to Cole, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Noah comes out a second later, "Where's my kiss?" I roll my eyes. I stand on my tip toes, giving Noah a quick peck on the cheek. He smiles gratefully.

"Hey, get in here", a guy yells from the locker room.

Matt wraps Cara in one last hug, keeping his arm around her shoulders. Both of my guys wrap their arms around me.

Noah's arm around my shoulders, Cole's around my waist. I love them both. I always will.

Edited: 3/4/22