Chapter 6: Team dinner

I stand in the corner of the locker room, with my eyes closed, like a loser, while the guys change. It stinks really bad in here at this point, and I think I'm about to throw up.

The guys decide to bring me along for dinner, I don't object. Mom is a great cook, but tonight I don't feel like sitting at the dinner table with my father and mother wanting to know every single detail of my first day of school, plus Cara's not going to be there.

The guys finish changing as I text my parents, Going out with friends, be home before 11.

Cole and Noah take me in their car as the others pack into their own cars. We head off to a restaurant in town called Gino's for pizza. We arrive about 15 minutes later, and the place is packed. We find a spot at the far end of the lot and walk from the cold air into the hot interior of the pizza place.

The hostess takes us to what the restaurant calls the 'Victory space'. Pretty much, if the sport teams want the room, they get it for the night. The room is large, and the table in the middle seems even larger. The table sits about 30, and smaller tables line the back wall in case the team needed more.

Coach sits at the head of the table, the assistant coaches on either side of him. Cole, as the captain sits at the other end, Noah and I on either side of him. The other guys fill in the empty seats near us. Zac and Matt fight over the spot next to me, and finally Matt wins. I find it flattering that most of the boys fight over sitting next to me, at least it's happened for the second time today, but I know most of these guys are just flirts. They want a girl for about week, maybe a month, then go on to the next. 

The coach orders 15 pizzas, 5 cheese, 5 pepperoni, and 5 meat lovers. After he orders, Coach stands at the head of the table for a speech. "Okay gentlemen. Oh, and lady. We have won our first game of the season, and I have decided what our good luck charm for the season. Meredith Adams. I officially dub you good luck charm for the year. Don't let us down", I laugh, then give Coach a thumbs-up. "Okay guys. You did great tonight. keep up the good work, and as our captain, Cole, I know you have something to say". He motions for Cole.

Cole stands, "Okay, we all did great tonight, and I think the fact we got Meredith to a hockey game is an accomplishment in it's self, so keep that up", the guys laugh. "Okay, but in all seriousness, we all did great tonight, shout out to Zac for the game winning goal in the last seconds." Zac stands and bows, a smirk on his face. The whole room cheers

The pizza arrives, and the table goes quiet almost immediately. Cole serves me a piece of cheese, while getting a meat lovers for himself. We all sit and eat quietly. After each guy has their third piece, while I'm just finishing my first, Coach stops them so I could have at least one more. They all stare at me as I slowly make up my mind as which slice I want. I do this just so I can make them mad, it's fun. I finally take a slice of pepperoni, and soon the rest of the pizza is gone. I do however get the pieces of crust from Noah's plate, where he has eaten 5 pieces. 

We all sit and chat for a while until I check my phone to find 2 messages. Both from Cara. I leave the room so I can hear.

"Mere, where are you? It's almost 10 and dad is worried that you haven't texted. Call me when you get this message. I'm going to call you until you answer. Bye."

I call Cara immediately. She picks up on the second ring. "Mere, what the hell!" I don't know what I did wrong. I told dad I was going out.

"What did I do, Cara? I told Dad I was going out and told him I would be home by eleven". Cara seems to calm down after that.

"Wait. what? You told Dad? Then why is he freaking out?" There is a lot of confusion in her voice.

"I don't know, but I told him and I will be home before eleven, I promise, now go calm him down", Cara hangs up after that.

I walk back in to see more than 20 set of eyes on me. Jake, a defense men calls from the other side of the table, "Does Daddy want you home already?"

I roll my eyes, "No, he was just freaking out for no apparent reason. And that was technically my sister, she called me to make sure I told dad that I was going out", the guys chuckle. I sit down and join their conversation.

It's about 10:30. I don't want to be rude, but I nudge Noah under the table, "Could you drive me home real quick? I need to be home by eleven". he nods.

"Guys, I will be right back. I have to take Princess home". A few guys whistle and others just wave goodbye.

"Thank you guys for letting me tag along tonight, and you guys played really well", I say to the guys before Noah and I walk out of the restaurant.

He drives me home, taking less than 10 minutes. "Thank you for an awesome time today. I must say, I didn't realize a whole bunch of hockey boys could be so nice, and fun too", I say as I get out of the car. "Goodbye Noah, see you on Monday".

I realize he follows me up my driveway for the second time today. "What are doing? I did say goodbye", I say with a smirk.

"Meredith, I want to meet the father. He seemed concerned about his little girl, I want to make sure he knows who you've been with all day", I roll my eyes.

I open my front door to find my entire family standing there. Cara has an evil smile on her face, Dad has a nice smile, and so does mom. I walk slowly, putting my hand on Noah's stomach to stop him from walking too fast.

"Hey family", I say slowly. Dad spots the hockey player behind me.

"And you are?" Dad asks Noah.

"I'm Noah Smith, a junior, I met your daughter today at lunch. She was out with me and the hockey team after our win tonight". Noah says with a very sweet smile. "I thought I would make sure both of her parents knew she was safe with us".

Noah takes a closer look at Dad, and I think he realizes who he is.

Randy Adams, the hockey legend.

Edited: 3/2/22