Chapter 39: Coming to an End

Noah walks down the hall with Cole and I to creative literature. We say goodbye to him as he runs off to whatever class he has next. Cole and I take our normal seats. With Christmas Vacation starting on Monday, Mrs. Vansickle has decided not to give us anything huge, which pretty much means no writing, or class in general. Our classmates decide to just do homework or catch up work for other classes. The few of us who have finished all of our homework, just talk. Cole and I just have random conversations about funny little things.

Soon enough, all morning classes are over and we head for lunch. A few guys are already at the lunch table. Noah, Cole and I sit in our normal chairs at one end of the table. I take out my lunchbox from my backpack and start eating my sandwich.

Someone behind me takes my Nutella sandwich from my hands. "Hey!" I say looking at the guy behind me.

"Sorry, I had the chance, I took it", Zac says, sitting down on the other side of Noah. He smirks.

"Yeah, you took my entire lunch, give it back", I laugh, trying to grab my sandwich back. It doesn't work, so I start fake pouting. Noah quickly grabs the sandwich from Zac when he isn't paying attention. Noah himself takes a bite of the Nutella sandwich and hands it back to me.

"Thanks", I say, stuffing my mouth with Nutella dreaminess.

Art starts after lunch. I take my normal spot at the front of the room. Sam has actually decided to show up today. She hasn't been in class within the past few weeks. We haven't talked since I talked to her about calling me a puck slut when I became friends with the hockey team. She is crude and loud. Kind of glad I knew what she called me. Saved me a lot more drama.

My drawing of a fish pond has been coming along great. This picture isn't going to have color, just some shading. This is my favorite picture so far.

Art ends 45 minutes later and Cole walks into the the classroom. "Let's go. We have practice to get to", Cole says with a smile. Mrs. Abraham gives me my daily early pass and we walk down the hallway to the gym. We are one of the first people there, so we sit on the bleachers and wait. The rest of the team shows up and we head out to the rink. The guys change and Coach comes over to me. He sits next to me on the bench.

Coach takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry Meredith. I didn't realize he was such a handful", he's talking about Luke.

"You would have never known that Coach, it's not your fault. It's his", I say as the first few guys come out of the locker room and onto the ice.

Practice starts soon enough. The guys do their usual skating around cones, shots on goal, and other things that I really don't know how to explain, it just has to do with hockey. It last about an hour and the guys head back to shower and change for the last class of the day.

Everything is perfect now. I have the guy of my dreams. I finally got my secret out about my whole reasoning of not liking hockey, and my best friends are the entire hockey team. I couldn't ask for more. Everything is perfect. Well, at least for now.

Edited: 3/10/22