Chapter 18: Cole's POV

This is the first game of the season we lose. The score was 5-2. I don't think we impressed Mr. Doug Brown too much. I mean the one time we have a professional player turned college head coach, we lose. The Bengals can't play under pressure, we really can't.

Meredith and I lead my team into the locker room at the end of the game. We are all somber and most of us are quiet. I didn't realize that we could be this quiet, especially when we aren't eating. The guys and I dress in our street clothes in silence.

Breaking the silence, a knock on the door comes. Meredith opens it, and in walks Mr. Brown. He holds a clip board. "Hey guys. I have watched all of you players tonight, especially the seniors. I liked what I saw tonight, even if you lost. I have your number written on my board, and I know who I like. Because I don't know your first names, I'm just going to say your numbers. These guys, I have hope for. Numbers thirteen, twenty-seven, ten, Thirty-one", Noah, Matt, Hunter, and Corey. "And finally nineteen". Wait, what? I look up at Mr. Brown.

He looks right back at me. I hear Meredith squeal quietly beside me. "Mr. Anderson, you may only be a sophomore, but I see a lot of potential in you. I would like you five to come out and play with the team. You may not be graduating this year, but this will help your decision on which college you want to go to get into. I want the five of you to come out to the Munn two weeks from now. We will pay for either your plane tickets or gas, if you drive". He wasn't joking was he? He really wants to see a sophomore play with college students. No way. I think my face lights up.

The guys clap, and I'm still speechless. Meredith wraps her arms around my neck. "Congrats Cole. You and your best friends are traveling to Michigan". The most exciting thing about this moment is my hug with Meredith.

I'm in love with Meredith. Since I saw her a few weeks ago on her first day of school. She is absolutely beautiful. Her eyes sparkle even when she is sad or angry. When she said last week that she only wanted to be friends, it broke my heart. I want to take her on a date and see how things go. I know Zac has a crush on her too, and Noah just a little. I love being friends with her, she's an amazing girl. I've never been the guy to fall for a girl, never been one to even look at girl like this. But there has also never been a girl like Meredith. 

"Me and the guys couldn't have done this without you. And your father's friends of course", I say, laughing.

"May I call you Cole", Mr. Brown asks. I nod. Meredith has her arms grasped around my left arm. We listen to him closely. "Thanks to our girl here, I watched you especially closely tonight. I really like what I saw, I wish you were older, because I want you on my team as soon as I can. I need to speak to our recruiter, but I want to offer you some sort of scholarship to play hockey for us. That will be completely up to you. I know I was offered a scholarship to Quinnipiac and didn't take it because I didn't like the college". Meredith smiles up at me.

"Mr. Brown, I have always looked at Michigan state as a college. I've never known why I'm drawn to it, but I have always wanted to go. I would love to go out there and see the rink and the college players. It would be an honor to. And if my best friends were to pick Michigan State, it would help my decision even more". Brown smiles

"Come out with the others in a few weeks. I promise you will love it there. I would keep Meredith if I were you, she is a great girl to have around." I nod my head in agreement.

"Thank you sir, I will be there. My parents will be so excited to let me check out a college so early, even if it is only the rink". We shake hands and Brown walks around to talk to the other guys.

I turn to my favorite person in the whole world, "Meredith, can we go into the hallway? I need to talk to you". She nods her head and follows me outside. I lead her to the end of the hallway where no one can hear or see us.

"I never would have thought that tonight was one of the best moments in my life. But I want to tell you something". Meredith's sparkling blue eyes stare at me.

I don't really have anything else to say, so I just do it. I grab her face in my hands and lock my lips to hers. After a second, her lips follow mine. Mere's hand climb up my back slowly, then one arm is around my neck, and another is rustling through my hair. We release each other a moment later.

"I told you I just wanted to be friends because I didn't know if you liked me or not. But I guess I do now", she is whispering. "I love you Cole. I always have".

Everything goes blurry, then dark.

Then I'm on the locker room floor, staring at the ceiling.

Edited: 3/4/22