Chapter 23: A Scholarship

Whistles fill the locker room coming from both high schoolers and college players when the five of us come in. I think Matt blushes, and so does Cara.

"Which one of you loves her more?" A college player asks from the back of the room. I realize he is talking to us three.

"Me", both Noah and Cole say at the same time.

I clear my throat jokingly, "Um, neither. They are just my best friends. Nothing more".

"Dudes, you both got friend zoned at the same time. Damn". Hunter says from a bench a few feet away from us.

"I haven't friend zoned any one, but they are my best friends. If either of them have the guts to ask me, they can. Then I might consider".

I feel both Noah and Cole look over my head to each other. On each side of me, they grab my hand, getting down each on one knee. At the same time they say to me, "will you do us the honor of becoming our wife". I can't stop laughing, and just shake my head yes.

They get off their knees. "How long have you been practicing that?" I say, still laughing.

"About a week", they say in sync. 

"You're an idiot, both of you". I roll my eyes, but still laughing.

"Ladies, sit", Brown says from the back of the locker room.

Cole shows me over to a bench. There is only room for one person, so Cole sits, he pulls me onto his lap. I wrap my arms loosely around his shoulders.

"Maine students, you guys did amazing. You all did. That game winning shot was amazing Anderson and Berg. I don't think my boys could have made that shot. Keep that up. Team work keeps those shots strong", the college players give a round of applause. "I would like to give a scholarship to one of you players. Matthew Berg. That shot was amazing, and if I could, I would give Anderson a scholarship too. Our recruiter says that play was worth a seventy five thousand dollar scholarship".

"Thank you sir, I would love to come here, it would be an honor to play here next year". Cara stands from Matt's lap and lets him go over to Brown for a handshake, then a hug.

After that, Cara takes her own turn for a hug with Matt. I must say, why, every time a guy hugs a girl, other guys like to wolf whistle. I will truly never understand boys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The flight takes just less than 2 hours. I sit with Cole and Noah, as usual. I help Cole with his global studies homework, which I know he didn't need the help, he was just being lazy. Matt and Cara look through brochures from Michigan State. Apparently Matt was already looking at Michigan state, he had already visited early in the year, and he couldn't be happier right now.

We head over to the parking lot where Noah's parents dropped off his car, and Mom dropped off our family van. Noah, Cole, and I decide to go out, while the others just want to be dropped off at home.

"Lets go swimming", Noah says, breaking our silence in the car. "We already have our bathing suits. We can drive out to the shore and swim". He meant his parents vacation house. I shrug.

"Yeah. It would be really fun. A heated pool after a long weekend of playing hockey, and we have another game tomorrow". So Noah starts his car and we drive off to the house.

The doesn't take long, less than 45 minutes this time. No traffic on the highway. The house seems even bigger than the first time I was here. We head into the kitchen and down the stairs. Noah shows me a bedroom that I can change in, just off the hallway where the pool is. Cole changes in the bathroom in the pool room, and Noah heads back up stairs to change in his own bedroom.

I change quickly and head into the pool room. I shut the glass door behind me as Cole comes out of the bathroom.

"Mere, can I ask you a question? And if you say no, can we just forget I asked?" Cole says nervously. He scratches the back of his head.

"You know you can ask me anything". I say happily. I think I know what this is.

"Would you go out with me?" Cole smiles nervously.

"No", Cole's eyes widen, then he looks down at the floor. "I'm just kidding, of course I will go out with you. I thought you would never ask". He smiles cheerfully.

"Does that mean I can actually hold your hand and kiss yo' face without it being awkward", Cole smirks. I just laugh, nodding my head.

"Get the balls to ask her?" Noah says from behind me. Cole nods cheerfully.

Does that mean Cole is my boyfriend? I think it does.

Edited: 3/4/22