Chapter 30: The Kiss

Cara walks into my room with an outfit in hand. She hands it to me. "Wear this, it's kind of sexy, but because you are at a house full of your boyfriend's family it's still conservative enough for you to get away with it".

"Why can't I just wear my clothes? As much as I love that outfit, I'm just going to Cole's house for dinner. I have an outfit picked out". I hold up a red three-quarter sleeved flannel and some black jeans.

"Because you need to make an impression. This says 'hey I really know how to dress super special and sexy, yet still know how to impress my future family in law'". She pushes her outfit into my hands.

I undress in front of her because neither of us care. "Cara, we are fifteen years old, do you realize more than, like, ninety-five percent of high school relationships don't work through to the end of high school, let alone go through college and after".

I put my own shoes on and look at my full body mirror. "You look amazing", I hear from the doorway. I look over to see Cole standing there with a smile on his face. Cara walks out of my room, being careful to not close the door so I don't get in trouble.

"Hey, how did you get here? I was supposed to be at your house in half an hour", I say motioning him over into a hug. With my heels, I'm only an inch or so shorter than him.

"Today is the first day the doctors said I could get back to driving, so I decided to come over here so your parents didn't have to drive you over. And I kind of wanted you at my house before my family gets there, it would be less awkward for you". I smile gratefully.

"Okay, let me get my purse". I say releasing Cole from my arms. I walk to the end of my bed and grab my purse from off the bed post. "Ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go", Cole says with a smile, putting his arm around my waist. We go downstairs and I say goodbye to my parents. Dad sits in the living room watching the pregame for the football game later on this afternoon, and mom sits in the kitchen watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I always say they love each other so much, and I know they do. They just don't show it.

Less than 10 minutes later we arrive in Cole's driveway. 3 cars are already here, so we pull into the garage and park the car. We walk out into the cold air and in the back door into Cole's kitchen. I hang my coat on the coat rack Cole told me to and I follow him into living room. I hang onto his arm nervously, he looks down at me with a smile as we walk in.

A few people stop their conversations as they see me and Cole. "You must be Meredith", a older woman says from the far end of the couch. I nod politely. "I'm Brenda. Cole's aunt".

"Yes, that's Aunt Brenda, Mom's older sister. Then that's Uncle Robert, Dad's brother, and his wife, Aunt Theresa. Aunt Fiona, Dad's little sister, and her husband Uncle William. And finally Aunt Rachael, Mom's younger sister, and her husband, uncle David. My grandparents should be here soon. And I'm guessing the cousins are downstairs?" He points out to his Aunt Brenda.

"No, my kids stayed home with their father and his family, but the others are with Meme and Pepe. I think the other others are with your Nana and Grumps". Aunt Fiona says, Aunt Rachael and Aunt Theresa nod.

"Okay, well you'll meet them soon. Where's Mom?" Cole says to me, then looks back up to his family.

"I think she is upstairs getting dressed, we kind of surprised her early, well, a minute or two after you left, and she was still trying to get ready".

"Okay, well I need to go show Mere something. We will be back in a few minutes". Cole says, pulling me away from the living room.

"It was nice meeting you guys", I yell back as we head up the stairs. My heels click with every step. He takes my hand and leads me to the left, down a hallway. He opens a door all the way at the end.

He leads me in. It's his room. I look around. His walls are a dark green with one red stripe around the middle. The posters are all over the walls. Devon Dubnyk, Charlie Coyle, Chris Porter, and many others.

"You really like the Wild, don't you?" I say.

"Yeah. I don't know why though. I have never been to Minnesota and my entire family are Bruins fans. I guess I just want to be different", Cole says as he walks around his bed to a desk on the far wall.

"Yeah, I'll say", I say with a smirk.

Cole grabs something from his desk and puts it next to his backpack. He motions for me to go to him. I do. He wraps his arms around my waist, I wrap mine around his neck. We stand next to the window, bright white light shines through as snow falls.

"I want to try something real quick".

Before I can ask what it is, his lips crash to mine. Stunned, I move my head backwards to look at him. But I can't help it. I push my lips back to his. I close my eyes and let our lips do what they want. I move my hand around the back of his neck and head. I'm careful not to touch his scar too hard. His hands move up and down my back. 

He pulls away a moment later, just making me want another kiss.

Cole puts me down after a few seconds. "That was my first kiss". He says, looking kind of embarrassed.

"Don't worry. It was mine too". I smile, pulling his chin to look right at me, then planting another quick kiss on his lips. A giant smile appears on his face.

My first real kiss, with the boy I love.

Edited: 3/8/22